Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Being A Beginner Sure Isn't Easy!

Our first, and perhaps, only aquarium we will ever have. It's a Marineland 5 gallon and NICE! Will have only one male Betta, a Moss Ball and perhaps a couple of Ghost Shrimp. Have replace two artificial plants with a Anubias Congensis and will replace another artificial with a Java Fern. Taking the advice of some experienced people concerning live plants!

Now, the only thing is......after many hour of internet research (being retired can be beneficial), have figured out that fish-keeping isn't that easy! Cycling, water tests, water changes, choosing fish that get along, number of fish to have, size of aquarium to have, etc., etc..

Don't know if Fairs still have the Goldfish game where a person would try to toss a Ping-Pong Ball into a Goldfish bowl floating in a child's pool and win a Goldfish, but I remember it! Get the Ping-Pong Ball into the bowl and get a small Goldfish to take home (not the bowl). Take the fish home, put into a clear glass bowl (or buy a Goldfish Bowl), buy some Fish Food and that was it. No cycling, testing of water, plants, toys.......just a water change once in a while and fish food! Simple!

I really wonder how many Beginner's feel this way and how many experienced Aquarist's remember those "Beginner days"?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I started keeping fish 30 years ago. I had many failures. It is only now that I have really put effort into understanding the true chemistry of the water that I am succeeding better. I enjoy the tank more and of course the fish are 'happy'.
I do think that forums like this are invaluable to the beginner, didn't even have the Internet when I started out, but I do understand what a beginner might feel like being bombarded with all this information.
Glad you're in the hobby. Start by keeping it simple and let your tank grow with your knowledge.
Enjoy!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am going to get fussed at here...but i started about 5 years ago. My ex left his aquarium here and i thought why the heck not. I bought ummm some mollies i think. Heater, light, pump, tank and gravel. No testing kit, didnt know anything about it. Water levels meant Nothing to me. I filled up the tank, waited 24 hours for the water temp to get right, and i put fish in. Fish were happy! 4 tanks later i love the hobby, i have millions of fish but the water care has definitely taken the fun out of it!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicRocker View Post
Our first, and perhaps, only aquarium we will ever have. It's a Marineland 5 gallon and NICE!
I see a bigger tank in your future very soon! It's too addicting not too and welcome to AA
Old 02-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fishkeeping is easy. Just don't get caught up in all the hype about water chemistry and remember the most crucial part of it is being committed to it.
I'm sure you have read all the nightmares, mysteries and dark side on cycling a tank, it does not have to be this hard. If you know how to do a water change, you can keep fish, so it's not that much different than when you and I kept fish decades ago. Having a 5 gallon should be easy for you to maintain and a 50% water change is only two and a half gallons. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Gosh! I got into this hobby in 1962. It was a horrible time for fish keeping. There was very little knowledge of the chemistry & biology of fish keeping we have now. Even the expert fish keepers managed with luck, hess & guess. You learned by trial & error and through many dead fish. HOB's, test kits, and all the other wonderful things wasn't even dreamed of yet. What we did learn there was no way to share it much with others. No computers, no internet. I rejoice with what we have today! I'm sure the fish would too if they could. OS.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I started just about 10 years ago and just recently hot back into it... Merry Christmas they said. Here's a fish tank they said. Get some fish they said. It will be fun they said. Not for a 9 year old animal lover that could raise an orphaned new born calf, but couldn't seem to keep a fish alive for more than 2 weeks!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShallNtEatFish View Post
I started just about 10 years ago and just recently hot back into it... Merry Christmas they said. Here's a fish tank they said. Get some fish they said. It will be fun they said. Not for a 9 year old animal lover that could raise an orphaned new born calf, but couldn't seem to keep a fish alive for more than 2 weeks!!!

Lol thats funny! I am sure it didnt take much to get the hang of it!
Old 02-09-2014, 11:32 PM   #9
Aquarium Enthusiast

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to the forum! I bet you will get hooked and want another tank as soon as you finish setting up your 5 gallon like me

WAR EAGLE
abw0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:05 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Once you get the hang of it, it's totally worth it, but the water changes are a pain.. I'm guessing that 5g wont last long.. It's an obsessive hobby :p

Tags
beginner

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com