Believe it or not ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vanimal said:
What brand flakes? NLS and Omega One are very good so if you don't have those buy them next time you run out and keep feeding them along with some meatier foods. It will give him more nutrients and variety.

The Omega One cichlid pellets is what l've been feeding the others.

I will buy those flakes soon. He is very small (2 inches max) so will he still be able to eat bloodworms? Also are the frozen ones fine?

Yes he can eat the bloodworms. And the frozen are actually better for him. You can buy the frozen bloodworms that come in small cubes. Just place the cube in a small container, add warm water to thaw it, and feed them to him with a turkey baster to give them most of the bloodworms before the rest of the fish beat them to it.

I added 2 black ghost knife fish to my tank. I know they are classified as carnivorous. I have been feeding them frozen bloodworms with a turkey baster & they love eating them. Yesterday l put squash and zucchini in the tank for the Gouramis and the Bala sharks. It wasn't too long later that the black ghost knifes have run the other fish off and are eating it. Now they are all sharing it and eating together. It's quite an amazing site. But l thought the black ghost knives were just meat eaters ??

How do yo prep the veggies for the balas and gouramis

I'm more impressed you've got two BGK together and they're not fighting :/

vaquero said:
How do yo prep the veggies for the balas and gouramis

Ive just been slicing them into 1/4" discs after washing them in hot water and running fishing line thru them with a weight on both ends

jetajockey said:
Why wouldn't flake fish food be meaty enough?

Im sure it is but the BGKs dont seem too interested in ant if the flakes.

Cynic said:
I'm more impressed you've got two BGK together and they're not fighting :/

They are still juvis (about 4") so they play well together well but each have their own territory when they want to be alone. And there are alot of hiding places with all the driftwood and plants. Going to watch them and rehime one if their temperment toward each other changes!

jetajockey said:
Why wouldn't flake fish food be meaty enough?

I would only feed flakes if they were NLS or Omega one. But I would also supplement with meatier foods.

My flakes and sinking carnivore pellets both have a minimum of 47% of fiber. Is this enough? What are the NLS and omega one numbers?

jackwagon said:
My flakes and sinking carnivore pellets both have a minimum of 47% of fiber. Is this enough? What are the NLS and omega one numbers?

I believe the Omega One lm using is 51% protein but can't remember for sure. I will look at the container in the morning to make sure. My BGKs are eating the sinking pellets now too so lm excited about that. I think my 2 will eat anything lol

Fedex3d said:
I believe the Omega One lm using is 51% protein but can't remember for sure. I will look at the container in the morning to make sure. My BGKs are eating the sinking pellets now too so lm excited about that. I think my 2 will eat anything lol

Good to hear! Once you get them on pellets they should start to grow faster.

I just checked the omega one and it is only 41% Even less than mine

jackwagon said:
I just checked the omega one and it is only 41% Even less than mine

Wow! Thought it was higher than that. What are you using?

Just tetramin flakes. Nothing really special. I just crushed them up.

jackwagon said:
Just tetramin flakes. Nothing really special. I just crushed them up.

Oh ok. Ive been changing their diet up between flakes, pellets, and frozen

Fedex3d said:
Oh ok. Ive been changing their diet up between flakes, pellets, and frozen

I think that's the best way to go with carnivore pellets and frozen as the main food source.

vanimal said:
I think that's the best way to go with carnivore pellets and frozen as the main food source.

Yea l do too. They have just now gotten to eat the pellets. But l try to feed them off to themselves because they wont compete with the other fish for the pellets. But stangely enough, they will run the others off with the squash & zucchini. Its interesting to watch !!!

My Eclipse Cat and Rainbow Shark are the boss of my tank :) nothing scares them away except me.

vanimal said:
My Eclipse Cat and Rainbow Shark are the boss of the my tank :) nothing scares them away except me.

Haha this has turned into an interesting community tank !! 12 Gouramis ( 4 different species ), 4 Balas, 3 Pictus, & 2 BGKs. Believe it or not, they all get along wonderfully !! They are all a very curious bunch during water changes or vacuuming the bottom. Some of the Gouramis will actually eat the blood worms out of my hand. Working on that with the BGKs

Back
Top Bottom