Believe it or not ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fedex3d

Aquarium Advice Activist
I added 2 black ghost knife fish to my tank. I know they are classified as carnivorous. I have been feeding them frozen bloodworms with a turkey baster & they love eating them. Yesterday l put squash and zucchini in the tank for the Gouramis and the Bala sharks. It wasn't too long later that the black ghost knifes have run the other fish off and are eating it. Now they are all sharing it and eating together. It's quite an amazing site. But l thought the black ghost knives were just meat eaters ??

Carnivore fish also require plant material. Most carnivores get their plants from their prey.

Ohhh ok. Thanks for the info. So its not out of the ordinary for them eat the veggies l put in the tank ?

The carnivores mainly eat meat but all fish need some begetable matter i think.

Funny. My BGK never has done this. All he eats are blood worms. He doesn't seem to like shrimp pellets, krill, earth worms, or tubifex worms. What else do you feed yours besides blood worms??

vanimal said:
Funny. My BGK never has done this. All he eats are blood worms. He doesn't seem to like shrimp pellets, krill, earth worms, or tubifex worms. What else do you feed yours besides blood worms??

Just the frozen bloodworms & tubifex worms. We got them last weekend so we haven't really tried alot of things yet. And gave the veggies for the other fish never thinking they would have anything to do with it !!! We were gonna wait til they got a little bigger to try the red earthworms.

Fedex3d said:
Just the frozen bloodworms & tubifex worms. We got them last weekend so we haven't really tried alot of things yet. And gave the veggies for the other fish never thinking they would have anything to do with it !!! We were gonna wait til they got a little bigger to try the red earthworms.

Yeah maybe mine will eat those once he is larger. But for now just blood worms.

vanimal said:
Yeah maybe mine will eat those once he is larger. But for now just blood worms.

I was reading somewhere the other day that when they get bigger they will eat the frozen shrimp from the grocery store (popcorn shrimp size) may try that as their appetite increases lol may be cheaper ??

Fedex3d said:
I was reading somewhere the other day that when they get bigger they will eat the frozen shrimp from the grocery store (popcorn shrimp size) may try that as their appetite increases lol may be cheaper ??

Yeah but mine is pretty small for now but he is in a 220 so hopefully he will start growing faster. That's what i feed my Fire Eel so I guess I could try to give him some. I have also seen a lot of larger ones on YouTube eating pellets which I think that's the best way to go. If I can I would like to get mine on some omega one or new life spectrum shrimp pellets and I think that would be a pretty healthy main diet. I would supplement with the shrimp and earth worms if he gets big enough to eat them. Once yours gets larger I think you should do the same if possible. I guess we will just have to play around haha.

vanimal said:
Yeah but mine is pretty small for now but he is in a 220 so hopefully he will start growing faster. That's what i feed my Fire Eel so I guess I could try to give him some. I have also seen a lot of larger ones on YouTube eating pellets which I think that's the best way to go. If I can I would like to get mine on some omega one or new life spectrum shrimp pellets and I think that would be a pretty healthy main diet. I would supplement with the shrimp and earth worms if he gets big enough to eat them. Once yours gets larger I think you should do the same if possible. I guess we will just have to play around haha.

I will have to pay better attention but l think l have seen my BGKs picking at the Omega cichlid pellets l've been giving my gouramis occassionally. I know they are meat based.

Fedex3d said:
I will have to pay better attention but l think l have seen my BGKs picking at the Omega cichlid pellets l've been giving my gouramis occassionally. I know they are meat based.

Are they sinking? I think those would be easier for them to eat.

My BGK tries to eat the catfish sinking wafers I have but they usually get stolen from him. Right now his main diet is crushed floating flakes that I hand feed him everyday. I know this isn't the best, so what should I do?

jackwagon said:
My BGK tries to eat the catfish sinking wafers I have but they usually get stolen from him. Right now his main diet is crushed floating flakes that I hand feed him everyday. I know this isn't the best, so what should I do?

Well I would change that ASAP. He should be getting more meaty foods so if I were you I would try frozen blood worms. I haven't heard of a BGK that doesn't love them!

What brand flakes? NLS and Omega One are very good so if you don't have those buy them next time you run out and keep feeding them along with some meatier foods. It will give him more nutrients and variety.

I will buy those flakes soon. He is very small (2 inches max) so will he still be able to eat bloodworms? Also are the frozen ones fine?

Back
Top Bottom