benefits of adding live plants to established tank? and what kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon community tank... setup for about 1 year now.. currently have two blue rams, 6 cory cats, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 golden wonder killie, bristlenose pleco, and 10 danios(will be removing the danios and adding 10 rasbaros tonight).. I currently have the tank fully decorated with fake plants, gravel , and one large piece of driftwood.. using an aquaclear 70 filter..
I have been looking at pictures online of tanks with live plants.. I have never ever tried live plants in any of my years of fish keeping growing up. the past year I got back into the hobby, im hoping to upgrade in near future to 60 gallon, but right now I have the 29 gallon... can someone explain to me what the upsides or downsides are with using real live plants? for someone that has never used them, nor has any idea about them can you tell me what kind to get? I see lots and lots of different kinds, what would go good in a 29 gallon setup like mine, with the fish that I currently have? any to stay away from? and I assume I can mix and match with live plants and my fake plants? im going to petsmart tonight to get my rasboaras and might pick up some live plants, but I have no idea which ones to get.. I rather not start them from bulbs either, do they usually come already grown? I appreciate any help, thank you

Pros:
Make tanks look nice
Remove co2 and convert to oxygen
Removes some ammonia,nitrites and nitrates i think
Cons:
Good lighting system
Some plants need supplements
More gravel needed(sometimes sand)

If you are buying live plants make sure you have decent lighting. If it is not very bright get some low light plants.

I only have a 2 gal shrimp tank, but I am going to be getting a 20 or 25 gal here soon..

Anyways, at first all I had, like you were fake decor. Then I got a live plant that was already about 2 inches tall and 4-5 inches long.

The one I got from Petsmart had this gel stuff on the roots, and I think that was to keep the roots together for easy planting.
My two Amano shrimps had't been very active, but after I added the plants, they are very active, and the water has been much clearer. It also looks a lot nicer too.
I would get plants if I were you! I tied mine ( I split it in two) onto rocks, because they kept floating, LOL
You could also start out with a few low light plants to try it out and see if you and your fish like it.

There are crypts, anubis, etc, and those are good low light beginner plants, or so I have read.

Check here http://http://www.aquariumplants.com/
That is where I am going to buy some more besides the LFS. Hope I helped!!

greetings.

ammonia and nitrite gets converted into nitrate by bb, that is what plants can use.

as for getting started with plants, your preperations depend on what type of plants you want. theres anywhere from weekly fertilization, stock light, and no co2. all the way to daily fertilization, strong light and co2 injection.

easy-level plants include: anacharis (egeria densa), various cryptocoryne, swords and anubias plants.

Back
Top Bottom