Benifit of having powerhead in freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moenaise

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a heavily planted 30 gallon tank and its hard to get the vacuum in all the densely planted areas without messing up the plants. Debris is coming off plants and needs to be cleaned somehow. I was wondering if getting a small powerhead to get some flow will help get the debris moving around so the filter can suck it up will help or if anyone has any ideas? I tried shrimp but something is eating them. I have a few mystery snails and bristle nose pleccos that don't seem to be doing the trick. All suggestions are welcome!

A powerhead is a great idea! I have a deep tank and it's helped out immensely. Just find your "dead spots" (where low flow is and where all the debris tends to lay) and place it there. Mine is in the lower right back corner of the tank and points straight up. Fluval powerheads are great. Just make sure you take it apart and clean it a least every 2 weeks.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been thinking about adding a Koralia nano 240 power head to my Planted 20g long. I currently have an AquaClear 50 HOB filter. The flow is okay but I would like to ensure proper nutrient and CO2 distribution.

Tashiki Amano was all about flow in the tank. That's who inspired me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been thinking about adding a Koralia nano 240 power head to my Planted 20g long. I currently have an AquaClear 50 HOB filter. The flow is okay but I would like to ensure proper nutrient and CO2 distribution.

I'm considering the same setup on my 20-long: even with two AquaClears on it, there are some dead spots, mostly toward the lower front.

I just added a hydor koralia 240 to the tank. it seems to be working great and the fish love the new flow to the tank. I'm going to try it in a few different spots to see where the best result is. Thanks for the help everyone!

Koralia not too much for a 20? Im big fan of flow I just have a rio in my 10g helps alot

My 46g bowfront is going to have this problem. I had to place my Aquaclear 70 on the back left corner of the tank. Which powerhead would be good for my tank? The complete right side of the tank has no current or agitation towards the substrate at all.

But are the powerheads okay if the tank has bottom fish such as pygmy corys and kuhli loaches?

You dont have to put it actually at the bottom. There all kinds of models with different adjustments and mounting brackets. Some people direct currect off the glass or move the current length ways.

I have one and my Khuli's are fine. It is pointed towards the front glass / top. I get a little ripple and it sort of rolls through the tank and intake.

I have had my pump in my tank for well over a month now. I have tried it in a few different spots and finally settled on a permanent spot for it. Adding the pump as helped my tank out with the debris problem. Thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom