Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Best algae eater?

I Ann trying to find an algae eater that would be okay I'm my tank. I have the capacity abd have a brown algae growth. My tank is 55 gal. Any suggestions? I gave a moonlight gourami, 4plattys, 3guppies 3 rams 2 bettas 2 angels 4 danios. And a butterfly loach.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBouchard View Post
I Ann trying to find an algae eater that would be okay I'm my tank. I have the capacity abd have a brown algae growth. My tank is 55 gal. Any suggestions? I gave a moonlight gourami, 4plattys, 3guppies 3 rams 2 bettas 2 angels 4 danios. And a butterfly loach.
Can you post a pic of the algae?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Normally it's best to find the source of the algae and fix that. But I have found that bristle nose plecos are great algae eaters and only get 5-6 inches long.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not much of a Pleco person as they produce TONS of waste and can get big. My favorite algae eaters are Panda Garra and Otocinclus Catfish. I also enjoy freshwater shrimp as they are fun to watch. Just my opinion haha
Old 07-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I totally agree that bristlenose Plecos are great for your tank. I actually have 2 in my 55gal tank. One albino and one regular. I never have any algae in my tank
Old 07-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like bristle nose plecos since they are very hardy in comparison to otocinclus catfish

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You shouldn't get a pleco to control your algae..their bioload is worse than the algae. However BNs like everyone was saying are good..rubberlips..anything that stays under or around 5" should be fine. Could get a bigger one but would have to rehome it later down the road.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get some nerite snails. For a 55 I'd say get 5 eBay has them for like 20 bucks for 5 and you get 5 different kinds. There algae eating machines. My tap water chemistry has changed there's more silicates all of a sudden so I had a diatom outbreak got a few of theese guys for my tanks and within a week my plants glass and decorations was algae free. They don't reproduce in freshwater but will lay eggs. You can either pick them out or leave them.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMantelli View Post
Get some nerite snails. For a 55 I'd say get 5 eBay has them for like 20 bucks for 5 and you get 5 different kinds. There algae eating machines. My tap water chemistry has changed there's more silicates all of a sudden so I had a diatom outbreak got a few of theese guys for my tanks and within a week my plants glass and decorations was algae free. They don't reproduce in freshwater but will lay eggs. You can either pick them out or leave them.
People on here usually sell m for cheaper than that too. Aquabid is also a good place to get snails, eBay like you said too..LFS have them all the time too.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

My lfs never has them and +1 aquabid is a good place and on here isn't bad on price if you find the right seller.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com