best black background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calfishguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to add a black background to my 29 gallon tank. I don't really want to paint. But was thinking of purchasing a large piece of black felt and affixing it to the tank via Velcro strips or double sided tape. Has anyone tried this? Any other suggestions?

I know you wanted a black background but I have seen some people paint their tanks and it looks fantastic as you can have whatever you want as your background.

Black cloth would do the job. But if you want to be really cheap. A black bin bag will do :)

IMO painted looks best but it's a permanent solution so I would use black board to see if it's really what you want. I bought my tank second hand and nearly didn't get it because the back was painted black. However, the plants look fabulous against it.

Paint doesn't have to be permanent. I used black acrylic paint on the back of my aquarium. If you get tired of that color and want to change it out, you can easily scrape acrylic paint off with a razor. It's also durable enough to withstand minor things, such as moving the filter a bit (it won't scrape off THAT easy, thankfully). It's mostly waterproof, so you won't have to worry about getting it wet when you do water changes or things like that.
Another thing you could use is a black trash bag taped to the back of it. :)

I'm sorry but I don't want to move the tank and as it is already set up paint is not an option. Those of you who used construction paper can you see the seems? Did you use one huge sheet? Can you see the tape?

I used two big sheets, and I can only see the seam if I'm looking for it.

I use either paper or cardboard and spray flat black then tape it to the back.

I just don't feel comfortable painting a tank that cost me over £1000 to assemble lol.

Black paper that has been laminated is my go-to backing.

It's quite cheap and can be made at home easily.

I just don't feel comfortable painting a tank that cost me over £1000 to assemble lol.

Black paper that has been laminated is my go-to backing.

It's quite cheap and can be made at home easily.

Could always use washable spray paint. I see your a scouser. Birkenhead here myself.

Washable? Wouldn't that be an issue with splashing?

Nice to see a fellow Brit. More so one who is fairly local!

Could always put a cloth or bin bag over it. Then if you decide on another colour give it a wash and add the new colour :)

I hear Wilkinsons sells cheap spray paint.

I was thinking of maybe using poster board. I can get a set of five sheets for 3 bucks. It measure 22" by 28" so two sheets and I'd be good. I figure it would be more resilient to water damage and would have less seems than construction paper.

I make all of my own backgrounds. The easiest would be using the black posterboard, but drips will make blueish spots appear on it. You can buy black art papers at any art store and they are large enough. Papers like Strathmore 400 or 500 or Canson Mi-Tientes run about $1.50 for a large sheet.

I've used that, too, but it sometimes warps and pulls away from the bottom of the tank. It takes a lot of tape to hold it. If you use foamboard, either paint or wax the top edge (rub a candle over it) and that helps keep moisture from separating the paper layer from the foam core. Below is an image of my cold water tank (a 29h) with a foamcore background. In this case I textured it with some acrylic compounds and painted it in a gradation from blue to black.

Back
Top Bottom