Best brand of flake food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am a fan of feeding a variety of foods. I have frozen foods, freeze dried foods including bloodworms, brine shrimp, sinking algae wafers, shrimp pellets, etc. However I would like to know what the opinion is of the 'best' all around flake food. When I had cichlids I used to feed New Life Spectrum due to recommendations.

Now to clarify, I feed my cats Blue Buffalo, which in my opinion is one of the best on the market. We try to buy organic for my family when we can afford it as well. So I figure If i do the best I can for me, my kids, and my cats, I can do the best for the fish as well. I know that most flake foods are adequate. I just want to know which ones are considered the most complete and safest, with the least amount of artificial ingredients, fillers, additives, etc.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I feed one of three flakes... Omega One, Kens, or a variety I got from jetajockey. I feed NLS pellets, either Thera+a, Grow, or cichlid. Any of those 4 brands are top quality... probably 4 of the better foods you can feed. Ocean Nutrition and Hikari are also good foods, though I don't feed them.

I guess what I really want to know what makes these foods superior to say, Tetramin flakes. What ingredients, processes, packaging, makes it better than the others.

Also I am currently using the aqueon tropical flakes because the ingredients looked a lot better than the tetramin flakes.

So i made a stop at the pet store today, and was reading ingredients, and the ingredients in omega one and newlife spectrum appear to be far superier, so I bought a small container of each. I am going to try to do some research on their manufacturing processes as well. I thought someone on here might be knowledgeable about this sort of thing.

Back
Top Bottom