Best canister filter for 55 gallon cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now I have 2 HOB filters equaling out to 110 gallons worth of filtration basically about 530gph but I want to upgrad to a canister rated for 150 gallons. So a few questions:

1. What's the best canister for the money?
2. How do I transfer my BB to the canister from the HOB to the canister?
3. Will I need to add a fan for extra current for my cichlids?

Any help appreciated. Thanks all in advance

I'd leave a HOB on the tank when you get a can. It provides more bb space that you won't really get with a can.
Lots of people like fluval. I have 2 fluval 405's and love them. I'd shop on amazon for much cheaper prices than stores. Could also look into Rena or eheim.
If you want to save some money brands such as sunsun and aquatop are cheaper. I have no experience with them though.
You could also invest in 2 AC 110's which a lot of people do as well for 55g tanks.

Mr.Pleco said:
I'd leave a HOB on the tank when you get a can. It provides more bb space that you won't really get with a can.
Lots of people like fluval. I have 2 fluval 405's and love them. I'd shop on amazon for much cheaper prices than stores. Could also look into Rena or eheim.
If you want to save some money brands such as sunsun and aquatop are cheaper. I have no experience with them though.
You could also invest in 2 AC 110's which a lot of people do as well for 55g tanks.

Actually, canisters provide more surface for BB-especially the Fluval ones-than HOB filters.

Mr.Pleco said:
Didn't type it how I meant ha. Canister and HOB is a good combo though.

IMO If there is enough flow from the canister, there's no point for a HOB.

The flow won't be bad at all. If he's running 110g rated filtration total, leaving one and adding a canister would be fine. I run a fluval 405 on my 50g cichlids and a AC70. No current issues. Plus it's over filtration which is never bad.

I went with the Fluval 306 for my 55gal and love it. The 306 is rated for 70gal's though. If you want a bigger one, go with the 406. I love mine so much, that I got another one for my 37gal that is in the process of cycling right now.

I will probably leave one on for water flow then add a canister. I have an aqueon 55/75 HOB which is rated for 90 gallons and one rated for 20 my plan was initially to remove both and have only the canister but reading yalls suggestions I'll leave the 55/75 and get a smaller canister filter probably one rated for 50+ gallons probably the biggest I can afford at the moment looks like I'm looking at saving a little money now and I imagine leavening the HOB and the canister I shouldn't get a mini cycle. Probably won't upgrade from aqueon till it breaks though.

I was looking at the fluval 406 and it say it's output is 340 gph and rated for 100 my HOB 55/75 says it has a 400gph output but is only rated for 90 gallons is there a reason for that?

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
I was looking at the fluval 406 and it say it's output is 340 gph and rated for 100 my HOB 55/75 says it has a 400gph output but is only rated for 90 gallons is there a reason for that?

Wouldn't really worry about it. Different brands rate them differently. Not sure why. But of you want to save $$ I'd look at a 405. It's cheaper. Not too much different than the 6.

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Will I need to buy bio balls or anything when I do end up purchasing this?

It comes with media (carbon packs and ceramic rings) I just took the carbon packs out and put some bio balls in. On the other can I have the rings and peat moss. There is other media you can buy and you can make media as well.

Oh ok, shouldn't need that I have my oh right wear I want it my entire substrate is crushed coral

Back
Top Bottom