Best chemical filter media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roland6543

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is considered to be the best type of chemical filter media?

Currently I have plenty of filtration capacity, using sponge, filter wool, carbon and Bio Max media. I also have a few plants (cabomba). I may remove the charcoal and only use in future if needed.

I'm looking for filter media that will take out spikes of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and possibly other nasties.

What's critical is that the media does not starve the biological media of the necessary nutrients. I am definitely not trying to replace the biological filter, just compliment it.

Of secondary importance is that the media can be regenerated. If possible that would be nice.

I know there are a lot of media available making claims, but I'm hoping someone has had a positive experience that they can share.

I'm looking for filter media that will take out spikes of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and possibly other nasties.

What's critical is that the media does not starve the biological media of the necessary nutrients. I am definitely not trying to replace the biological filter, just compliment it.

Charcoal, which you are using, is by far the most widely-used chemical filtration media.

I'm unaware of any filter media that will do what you want it to do, per the above. All chemical filter media that I'm aware of (like ammonia chips, for example) will starve the beneficial bacteria.

I don't think there's much of a way around this.

That said, to handle spikes, a good water treatment like Prime can detoxify ammonia and nitrite long enough for an established biological filter to remove. In my view, this is the best way to handle spikes, and not a chemical filter that risks staving the bacterial colonies.

Good luck!

Purigen is good for taking out organics such as dissolved organic compounds. It is a synthetic material that changes color when it is used up and can be regenerated with bleach. However, it's really marketed towards saltwater aquariums where DOCs are more of a problem. Chemipure is another type of media which is supposed to be carbon with certain things added in. They claim a lot, but I'm not sure how effective it really is.

I wouldn't bother with any chemical filtration media in freshwater, or plain old carbon at most.

--Adeeb

If your tank is cycled, you shouldnt have spikes of ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates realistically need to be removed with water changes. Plants help as well but they do not eliminate the need for water changes to remove dissolved solids & restore vital buffers, minerals & electrolytes. Using a chemical media to remove ammonia/nitrite (which you shouldnt have) is a bandaid solution. At some point, the media will stop removing these toxins & the levels will spike & you will not have the established biological filtration to remove them. Unless your testing your water daily for possible spikes, this may go unnoticed. Personally, I would just stick to regular water changes & save yourself the extra expense of purchasing chemical media & frequent testing. :)

So I am trialing some Purigen on my tiny quarantine tank.

Its only 2.5 gallons so when I recently added a couple of fish the chemistry went out of wack. I'll be able to see if purigen takes "the edge" of the chemistry while the BB catches up with things. The only problem is the filter is too small to fit the bag of purigen inside so I have it draped over the sponge filter.

I agree with jlk. If you already have an established bio-filter anything "extra" you add will only complicate what is already happening naturally. If your looking for something exclusively for nitrates, introduce it and it works with your water having zero's across the board for ammo,trites and trates, without pwc's your left with "dead" water and your livestock will suffer.

I went back and read my original post. I guess I forgot to mention that I definitely will continue with PWC. Just want to clarify that.

Back
Top Bottom