Best companion fish for bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ysic_liz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know it depends on the personalities of the betta too... but any/all thoughts and experiences appreciated.

I've currently got a betta in a 28litre tank by himself. Fantastic water quality (or so the tests tell me)... waiting on some persistent fin rot to go away before I give him some company.

Thanks!

Liz

Hi Liz - I keep my betta on his own, but from what I've heard/read, stay away from fish with flowing fins (eg: guppys, platys, etc). They may think that they are another betta and if so, you'll see quite agressive behaviour. Other than that, any fresh water tropical fish that's not too large should be fine with your betta.

Maybe a school of tetras, or rasboras?

Hi Liz - I keep my betta on his own, but from what I've heard/read, stay away from fish with flowing fins (eg: guppys, platys, etc). They may think that they are another betta and if so, you'll see quite agressive behaviour. Other than that, any fresh water tropical fish that's not too large should be fine with your betta.

Maybe a school of tetras, or rasboras?

Don't know if it's true, but I was told by my LFS that you shouldn't get anything too small with a Betta (or 'Fighters' are they are called here) as anything they can fit in their mouths they will eat!

You could go with a couple dwarf corys I think. I think the tank is too small to put any kind of mid to top dwellers in there. You could possibly get a mystery snail or some shrimp?

My betta is a bit on the timid side, I put a guppy with him in a 5G tank, and they get along very well. I've never seen any torn fins on either. When I first put the betta in, he ate most of the yellow shrimp that I didn't bother to move to the 10G with the other shrimp, but he's still got a couple of shrimp living in the moss, seems to leave them alone as well. It's a very unusual set up, but it works for him and me :)

I have a mystery snail in with my two bettas. I wouldn't put any more than a snail or some other invert in with him as you only have a ~7 gallon tank and IMO, this is to small for a school of fish.

You could get some Danios, but it would be kinda cruel to have less than 3 so they cant school.

Back
Top Bottom