Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2006, 10:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Best deal ever!

Ok, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I have the opportunity to get a 75 gallon tank and stand... for FREE. 8) The only thing wrong with it is that the tank has a chip in the glass on one of the corners. The chip does not go all the way down to the seal. Do you guys think it would be a problem? The person giving it to me doesn't seem to think so. I'll try to remember to snap a pic of the chip so I can post it up here. If it's ok structurally, I will either use it for a discus setup or for SW.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

You can't possibly consider a tank with a small chip in it. Think of the potential disaster. It saddens me to offer you to dispose of it for free of charge...... hummm, now how many miles is it from KY to WI? X$3.00per gallon... on the other hand, maybe you should hang onto it.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to say this severum mama but the fact that you need to ask should tell you that enough concern exists to not use the tank. A minor flaw in glass is a potential disaster.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now that is good luck! There's no way you can turn it down.

The actual tanks aren't that expensive, it's always the stand that has the huge price tag.

I wish I had luck like that.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not too concerned about it, I just wanted opinions I guess. By the time I set up another tank my entire house will have a waterproofed ceramic tile floor. I'm still in the planning stages of everything, so I'm thinking it over for sure. I know the tank has held water in the past and the person that has offered it to me was going to set it up as a QT. I'll snap a pic later today and get it posted tonight. I can get a new AGA 75 gallon tank for $105 so that may be the way to go. But if this tank is ok to use I'd rather save the money, you know? Thanks for the opinions.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My take on this, is to go for it but don't use the tank. The stand is still good right? Why not dispose of the tank (or if you are adventurous, replace that one panel of glass) and keep the stand. It is free after all.

Everyone in this thread seems to dismiss the tank because it has a flaw but it isn't incredibly difficult to repair a tank with a new piece of glass. After all, the chip is only in one of the sides.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's what I'd do:

-take the tank

-use it without water, or at least without a lot of water

Make a retile setup, have an emersed planted tank (that would be incredible), or take it outside and use it as a small above ground pond.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

A lot would also depend upon how high or low the chip is. Because of gravity, the pressure exerted on the glass at the lower part of the tank is higher than the pressure towards the top. If the chip is on, say, the top 1/4 of the glass, I might consider using it. Otherwise, no way.

Also, this might be an amazing opportunity to set up a paladrarium (is that the word?), or maybe a brackish tidal pool type of set-up for archerfish, something like that, where you'd have the tank less than full.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to JRagg
Size and shape of the chip is one of the most important factors. If the chip is more like a crack, there will be stress concentrations and it will run (just like a windshield does). If it is a very shallow chip without any pointy edges, it won't be near as bad.

And as mentioned above, if it is in the top 5-6 inches of the tank then it's less of a concern (considering that it is still not a shape that will cause significant stress concentrations).
Old 08-31-2006, 03:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My 29 gallon has chips...not one...many... along one corner. No problems as of yet.

Did I say chips? They are more like gouges. lol

verucaproduce is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com