Best Filter Brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
What filter do you guys use? What's the best brand? What is better sump, canister, or just a normal filter?

It depends on the size of the tank. For smaller tanks (40 and under) I prefer AquaClear filters. They have a large capacity, easy to clean, and allow you to place any filter media you want. For larger tanks, canisters are more convenient, though more expensive. Eheim is my preferred brand there.

--Adeeb

Aqueon filters for hang on back filtration. I love them because the motor is physically under the water which dampens the noise. For cansiter filtration I prefer Fluval and have had 3 fluval canister filters with my current one being a Fluval G3.

For UV sterlization I use "The green killing machine" I have both the 9W and 24 watt internal models in my tank.

vanimal said:
What about bio wheel filters? Are they any good?

Yes and no. I say that because they tend to be noisy. But I think they do the job great. I have two aquaclear 50 on my 36g and there great filters. I also love my fluval 406.

What about bio wheel filters? Are they any good?
They're okay. I had the 350, and it was a bit noisy. Also, you have to change the cartridges because they clog and don't clean easily. I prefer filters where you can just clean a sponge, saves a lot of money over buying media monthly.

--Adeeb

I love my biowheel filter. It is a bit noisy but im used to it. Sumps are also great but a bit extreme for smaller tanks. IMO sumps are better for saltwater because it holds more water which makes toxins in the water more diluted.. I would go with an aquaclear or a biowheel. Although not as powerful as canister, IMO the hang on back filters are a bit easier to clean and such

I have two bio wheel 350s and I really like them so far. I don't find them noisy at all.

Alyxx said:
I have two bio wheel 350s and I really like them so far. I don't find them noisy at all.

I have a 350 and its silent I love it..but the 400 I got is noisy..

rkilling1 said:
IMO, it's hard to beat an eheim canister filter.

This. I've now had Hagen, Fluval, FX and other cheap rip off filters and I'd recommend Eheim over them all.

Back
Top Bottom