Best filter for a 58 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HannahJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a 58 gallon tank that came with a number of filters, consisting of an undergravel filter, a HOB filter, and a dual-biowheel filter. I'm not sure which, if any, to use, since I'm personally not very fond of UG filters--I had one screw up on me once--and I've also been hearing a lot of good things about canister filters.

So, should I use one of the filters I already have, or should I go cough up the dough for a canister filter? Any and all help is appreciated, so thanks.

I would not use the UGF either. What brands of HOBs are they? I would get a cannister if it is in the budget. I love mine.

I got the rena xp3 for my 50 hex.

Although I believe it to be oversized a good bit,I can't beat the performance.

$104 with the printed web page at pets mart.($189 on the shelf)

UG Filters are generally frowned upon and are a absolute NO if your planning a planted tank.

If your not planning a planted tank or even a low light planted tank, the HOBs will be fine (assuming they are rated for your tank size), I would suggest the bio wheel because the bacteria will grow well on it and you can change your filter without losing a huge majority of the bacteria, the wheel will also add oxygen to the tank.

If you want to plant this tank with high light I would reccomend investing in the canister idea. In a planted tank you will want to avoid surface agitation which causes CO2 outgassing. HOB's and Bio-wheels do this. As I mentioned NO UGF!

The powerfilter is an ancient looking Regent and the biowheel one has no visible brand, but the pump thing has Marineland on it in very small letters. To be honest, it looks pretty old, too. A canister is in the budget, but it would be tight and would probably limit my fish/decoration choices for a while (though I may be able to talk the boyfriend into making a one-year anniversary present of it--I'm getting hima framing hammer, so if he does get me a filter, we will have succeeded in giving each other the most unromantic one-year gifts EVAR :p ).

If I do go with a canister filter, do you have any recommendations that wouldn't break the bank? I like the idea of having an intake at one end of the tank and the output at the other, to give it a faux-river current feel, since the tank will be home to a river fish; are there certain canister models where this is more viable? Also, do canister filters HOB or can I put it under the tank?

Thanks for the help!

AquaClear 70 or 110 would be good choices. I tend to over-fliter my tanks, so I'd probably go with the AC110. If you have a Petsmart nearby, like someone mentioned above, just print out the web page and take it with you. They will match their own web pricing...

I'm lucky in that I have two Petsmarts, a Petco, and three half-decent LFS within 10-15 minutes of my house. Would I need to buy extra hosing/seperate parts to get an intake at one end of the tank and an output at the other?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

There’s no such thing as an unromantic gift. It’s called a “practical gift”.

Canister filters generally go under the tank, which helps you put the tank a little closer to the wall. You just run an intake and a discharge tube up to the tank. They’re also very easy to clean since you can unhook them and take them over to the sink instead of working on them under/behind your aquarium.

It should come with all the necessary tubing, with a canister you can even have an inline heater and an inline CO2 reactor so you don't have all the ugly equipment going in the tank. All you will have is an input and output from the filter and a thermometer. You will get it much cheaper if you buy online.

How does an inline heater work? Is it something else I would need to buy separately? By the way, thanks for all the help, I think I'm definitely going to be getting myself a canister filter, one way or another.

Could someone perhaps enlighten me on the maintainance involved with a canister filter? I'm mostly familiar with the swap-out-the-bag-and-clean-out-the-parts power filter.

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far!

Oh, and JRagg, it certainly isn't what you would consider classically "romantic", which, given my distaste for jewelry and all things "cutesy", works for me. I think there should be a move in the romance industry to take flowers out of vogue and replace them with fishtank accessories, wouldn't you agree? :p Nothing says "I love you" like a bouquet of airline hosing and a box of filter parts!

An inline heater such as this one goes between tubing on the output from your canister filter. It heats the water instantly as it passes through it. It has advantages, no ugly equipment in the tank and its easy to set without getting wet (no rhyme intended)

Back
Top Bottom