Best filter for debris on sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaraB

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a HOB filter as close to the center of my 55 gallon tank as possible. However due to the brace in the middle it is still off to the side. This leaves a dead spot on half the tank for poop and other debris to accumulate. I do 2 water changes a week and clean the sand both times. There is still debris the next day.
My question is: is a canister filter better at cleaning debris than a HOB filter?
If so what brand should I switch buy?
If not what can I do to keep my aquarium clean?

I would recommend a small ish powerhead to fill in the dead spots to keep debris in the water column so that the hob can pick it up.

Are they relatively easy to use? Like do they have to be facing a certain way, my aquarium only has room for something to be placed on the back. It's on one of those cabinet stands and the lid is very fitted on the sides.

Look at the korelia brand ones they’re fairly cheap but pretty high quality. They should take up maybe an inch outside the aquarium.

I have less than a centimeter on the sides. Will it work if it's on the back? If not then any other suggestions would be great

I’ll measure it later today and pm you but I’m pretty sure it should fit

It’s a little less than a centimeter but if it doesn’t fit the back would be completely fine

There’s a screen around the motor but if you still think fry could fit through it pantyhose is a common solution to prevent other things also.

Also could put an air stone or sponge filter near the dead spot if you’d prefer that.

I tried a couple of extra filters I has lying around. None of them fit, then I realized that this tank came with a decently sized airstone so hopefully that works to push the debris over. I can also up my water changes for a bit and see if it helps.
If not I'll buy another hob filter.

Back
Top Bottom