Best filter for me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all. my HOB tetra whisper 10 is getting on my nerves, because its so loud, plus I have to replace the cartridge. What's a good filter for me? I have a 10 gallon tank, 4 platys, and I am upgrading soon so something that I could move over would be good.

Yea but I want something that doesn't make noise when the water evaporates. So I can sleep.

Aquaclear 50, already recommended but the filter media is easier and cheaper (at least for me) to replace and it has the quiet sound of water falling. I used to listen to calming sounds(water tricking or falling) before I fell asleep )which also tuned out my filter) but ever since I got Aquaclear 50 I can listen to that. It's quite soothing, really.

Ok thx for the suggestion. I just can't always get water and if it goes down like half an inch I pay for it. Any good air pumps that are quiet enough to sleep next to?

Your water goes down? Mine doesn't......??? I sleep next to it every night, seriously it's RIGHT BESIDE MY BED. the only time the w level goes down is during water changes:p

Yea it evaporates a TON. I put a gallon in and two days later that's gone. I guess it's cause it's been so cold so the heat is on so it evaporates faster... Not sure if that makes sense though. I may just put a filter sponge under the waterfall to quiet it down.

Yea it evaporates a TON. I put a gallon in and two days later that's gone. I guess it's cause it's been so cold so the heat is on so it evaporates faster... Not sure if that makes sense though. I may just put a filter sponge under the waterfall to quiet it down.

Cold? Two days????? What country do you live in? Do you have a heater? I don't think the filter sponge will help though. I've never heard of water evaporating THAT fast.....:/ I live in Canada and I thought the winters here are freezing! wonder how it's like where you are:p

Hhhmmmm... I was exaggerating slightly, more like 4 or 5 days. But I do have a heater. I live in NJ.

Maybe! Anyways, that's so weird! Most of my friends never lose water:p P.S. lucky duck living in New Jersey! I love it there, my family friends live in NJ so I visit a lot.

Fish guy,
See about getting a versa top hinged glass top for your tank. It cuts my evap rate way down. My evap is three times faster without it. OS.

I'm with OS, get a hinged glass top to cut down on evaporation. Also, Aquaclear 30 would be great!

If you get the versa top, it should have the plastic strip that runs along the back. Cut it to fit the area (minus where the filter is). You can then take the excess strip and trim it to fit the lip of the AquaClear filter. You may have to pinch the part that "grabs" onto the to filter lip with a pair of pliers to get a snug fit. You can bend the plastic strip however you need to quietly deliver water back to the tank. Here is a pic of mine with the water much lower than I usually keep it:
szcGBEg.jpg[IMG]

If you get the versa top, it should have the plastic strip that runs along the back. Cut it to fit the area (minus where the filter is). You can then take the excess strip and trim it to fit the lip of the AquaClear filter. You may have to pinch the part that "grabs" onto the to filter lip with a pair of pliers to get a snug fit. You can bend the plastic strip however you need to quietly deliver water back to the tank. Here is a pic of mine with the water much lower than I usually keep it:
http://i.imgur.com/szcGBEg.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Oops [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/szcGBEg.jpg

We have a 10g in my daughter's room who is a light sleeper. We use a Zoo Med 501 and it is dead silent. I occasionally look at the plant leaves to make sure there is a current. ie. it is running.

I'm in the same boat on evap. My tanks are topless and on say a 20 high, I lose 1/4-1/2" of water everyday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom