Best fish for extremely high flow rate aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyboynm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Someone gave me a 75g aquarium with wet/dry filter and a water pump. Unfortunately for me, the water pump has a high flow rate (790gph). What kind of fish can handle that type of flow through the tank? I have been told South American river fish such as hachets, rainbowfish, silver clouds, loaches, corries and such.

My wife already put a few (10 or so) plattys into the tank but they stay on the far side, away from the water return. They do not go anywhere near where the water is returned to the tank. Is the flow rate a danger to these fish?

It may not necessarily be your thing, but man, if you could set that tank up in such a way as to get a one way flow that sounds AMAZING for hillstream loaches. Or any loach. Yoyos, kubotais in particular would be a nice addition if standard tropical is the way you want to go (hillstreams prefer it cooler).

My canister filter has an adjustable rate of flow, maybe you could turn it down?

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And bamboo shrimp

I've made some mistakes so far...

I am dealing with "tea colored" water because my wife added some driftwood without washing/soaking it long enough but that is fine. We have added AC to the sump and hope it will lighten up with water changes over time.

I am having fun with the fish we are putting into it. Someone suggested Tetra such as cardinal or neons. Would those do well?

We used PFS instead of gravel on the bottom too. A lot of new things tried with this tank. I hope we get these things working together soon.

Our Neons and Cardinals do great. They are streamline and enjoy the flow

The platys may be better to return as they will not enjoy the flow at all. I would recommend loaches like stated above and danios or minnows of some kind. they will both enjoy the flow.

How about you just plumb as T off of the main return. Through this you could run an algae scrubber. This would let you control the flow to the display tank as well as giving extra nutrient export.

White clouds, hillstream loaches, and dojo loaches would make an interesting tank with a lot of flow.

Back
Top Bottom