Best flake food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willsFishTank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have the Aqueon tropical flakes now and I want some high quality flake food that will brighten up my fish colors. I have look in to new life spectrum but they don't have many flakes. So if you could recommend a high quality flake food to me that would be great.

Maybe try looking at nutrafin or hikari. Also, try feeding bloodworms or krill(If they can eat krill). They are extremely good at enhancing the colors of fish. It depends on you're fish size, but I know that bloodworms should be safe for you're fish.
One more thing, I think remembering tetra being a very good fish food company.

tetra is quite possibly the worst food makers IMO, id go with omega one. Ive just started using it switching from aqueon, and i can already see the difference. Plus the ingredients are much better, using various types of whole fish and not just "fish meal"

Omega one can be found at any petsmart if you have one near by.

this is why i think tetra is horrible

Ingredients for TetraMin Tropical Flakes
Fish meal, torula dried yeast, ground brown rice, shrimp meal, wheat gluten, dried potato products, feeding oat meal, dehulled soybean meal,soybean oil, fish oil, algae meal,

notice all of the filler stuff like rice and potato products.

now look at omega one
Whole Salmon, Halibut, Black Cod, Whole Herring, Seafood mix (Including Krill, Rockfish, Shrimp, Squid, Clams and Octopus), Wheat Flour, Wheat Gluten, Soy Flour, Fresh Kelp,

whole foods, and some flour (too keep the flakes together instead of it being straight powder)

Last edited:
I had begun a thread of this very subject, but with regard to goldfish in particular; let me see if I can contribute anything worthwhile (apparently futile and too far fetched, so it seems generally :()...

I was feeding Aqueon and Tetra goldfish flakes for a long time, but was recently advised, after asking about a possible "premium flake-based food" that may be out there, to look at NEW LIFE SPECTRUM and OMEGA ONE...just yesterday, we picked up the smaller bottle of Omega One goldfish flakes, which are supposed to be more nutritious than the aforementiond brands, at our local Pet-not-so-Smart and I have not yet seen a "drastic" change in eating habits/behavior with my fancy goldies; in fact, there is still some lethargic behavior going on when they attempt to digest even these flakes (see my thread about this in the Coldwater/Ponds section)...

That being said, I'll see how it continues to go with the Omega One and in the meantime will consider getting the New Life food -- with regard to New Life Spectrum, from what I understand they DO make a flake, but it's packaged as either a "General Freshwater" or "General Saltwater" flake, which I was told would be perfectly fine to feed to goldfish (in terms of their "General Freshwater" variant). Someone made a reference to "NutraMin" -- interestingly, I was feeding these flakes to my goldies as a very small starter pack bottle of these came with one of the starter aquarium kits we purchased some time ago during a tank crash emergency, and I believe these are made by HAGEN (makers of the coveted AQUACLEAR HOB filter line)...I learned afterwards that these are actually not that bad of a food and may be a bit more "upscale" than the Tetra and Aqueon flakes...

I had begun a thread of this very subject, but with regard to goldfish in particular; let me see if I can contribute anything worthwhile (apparently futile and too far fetched, so it seems generally :()...

I was feeding Aqueon and Tetra goldfish flakes for a long time, but was recently advised, after asking about a possible "premium flake-based food" that may be out there, to look at NEW LIFE SPECTRUM and OMEGA ONE...just yesterday, we picked up the smaller bottle of Omega One goldfish flakes, which are supposed to be more nutritious than the aforementiond brands, at our local Pet-not-so-Smart and I have not yet seen a "drastic" change in eating habits/behavior with my fancy goldies; in fact, there is still some lethargic behavior going on when they attempt to digest even these flakes (see my thread about this in the Coldwater/Ponds section)...

That being said, I'll see how it continues to go with the Omega One and in the meantime will consider getting the New Life food -- with regard to New Life Spectrum, from what I understand they DO make a flake, but it's packaged as either a "General Freshwater" or "General Saltwater" flake, which I was told would be perfectly fine to feed to goldfish (in terms of their "General Freshwater" variant). Someone made a reference to "NutraMin" -- interestingly, I was feeding these flakes to my goldies as a very small starter pack bottle of these came with one of the starter aquarium kits we purchased some time ago during a tank crash emergency, and I believe these are made by HAGEN (makers of the coveted AQUACLEAR HOB filter line)...I learned afterwards that these are actually not that bad of a food and may be a bit more "upscale" than the Tetra and Aqueon flakes...

that lethargic behavior may not be the food, there are many other things that could cause it, id suggest making a new thread asking about that.

(these things include the water, parasites, bacteria infections, and a mess of other things)

Last edited:
that lethargic behavior may not be the food, there are many other things that could cause it, id suggest making a new thread asking about that.

(these things include the water, parasites, bacteria infections, and a mess of other things)

Indeed; I actually received a response about this from member Alyxx in MY "Premium Flake Food" thread...she says it may just be from introducing a new, richer food that takes some time to get used to...

I'm praying it's that...

I like API. I used Omega One in the beginning but it changed the color of my fish due to all the red pigments. At one point my blue betta turned blood/purplish red and my danios had red tinting in there spinal chords. After switching to API their natural colors are returning. Also api has a lot more vegetable content while omega one is purely protein (with the flour's carbs of course).

I like API. I used Omega One in the beginning but it changed the color of my fish due to all the red pigments. At one point my blue betta turned blood/purplish red and my danios had red tinting in there spinal chords. After switching to API their natural colors are returning. Also api has a lot more vegetable content while omega one is purely protein (with the flour's carbs of course).

Wow, really? The Omega One changed the colors of your fish? :blink:

I never really considered the API food -- normally, outside of their aquarium salt and freshwater master test kit products, I don't take notice of much of their stuff on the LFS shelf...indeed, though, it seems like there's an infinite number of choices for food when you look, between the store "house" brands like "Top Fin" and "Petco" flakes/pellets and now from brands like Seachem...

Omega One, though, I believe doesn't just have strictly protein -- doesn't it contain a good amount of fish/seafood elements?

Also, on a side note....can you please explain to me exactly what it is that's going on in your YouTube link in your signature? I clicked on that and thought, perhaps, six grams of pure acid had been dropped into my Pepsi and I was on some kind of "trip" that involved muppets of some kind and.......

To be honest...I don't know what else...

What is going on in that video?

Wow, really? The Omega One changed the colors of your fish? :blink:

I never really considered the API food -- normally, outside of their aquarium salt and freshwater master test kit products, I don't take notice of much of their stuff on the LFS shelf...indeed, though, it seems like there's an infinite number of choices for food when you look, between the store "house" brands like "Top Fin" and "Petco" flakes/pellets and now from brands like Seachem...

Omega One, though, I believe doesn't just have strictly protein -- doesn't it contain a good amount of fish/seafood elements?

Also, on a side note....can you please explain to me exactly what it is that's going on in your YouTube link in your signature? I clicked on that and thought, perhaps, six grams of pure acid had been dropped into my Pepsi and I was on some kind of "trip" that involved muppets of some kind and.......

To be honest...I don't know what else...

What is going on in that video?

Well I'm not upset at all about the protein content and I do like how they use quality seafood. I actually still use it to feed my guppies as it hasn't changed their colors.

And lol yea that video is just a classic muppet song. Its a masterpiece :3

Back
Top Bottom