Best food (guppy)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which food would you guys and gals recommend for my new male hybrid guppies? They are not that old and have a hard time eating the flakes I have been trying to crush up for them. I have tried the micro pellets but they swell too big for them. Thanks! :p

you must have some picky guppies lol also moss and plants for them to pick at will help too.

I love my homemade fish food as it appeals to all sizes. Found the recipe on here a long time ago but the short list was:

-white fish (yeah I know...eating your own..)
-shrimp
-wheat germ
-mixed frozen vegetable medley (carrots, celery, corn, etc.)
-flake food (for vitamins)
-peas

You mixed them all up in a food processor to a thick paste and them add in a packet or two of knox gelatin dissolved in water. Mix that up and flatten them out in baggies and freeze. When you need a piece just break it off, let it thaw to room temperature and then pull it apart to tiny pieces and drop in the tank.

The gelatin keeps the food from completely messing up the water, while the food processor gives you near infinite different sizes of fish food. Foods like the peas and flake are easy for even the smallest fry to eat while some of the fish and shrimp chunks are large enough that adult fish will have a tough time eating in one gulp.

If you are interested in the actual recipe let me know and I'll dig it up at home.

Oh btw, this food mix gives my guppies INCREDIBLE coloration. Now you won't get ordinary guppies to show colors, but if they have the genes for it and are just not happy and healthy this recipe will bring out the colors. I've been trying to get a detailed in-focus picture for a couple weeks now with no luck. My tank is overstocked due to all the breeding, and so they are like a swarm of pirahna. The only way I'd get a shot would be to net and drug one (with clove oil) which I'm not too keen on doing..

HTH

One other thought using your existing food would be to take the micro pellets and put a couple inside a metal spoon, then place another spoon of the same size on top of the pellets, press down hard, and move back and forth. This is a fantastic way to grind just about anything hard into a fine powder.

I've used that method on a friend's tank that was in a similar situation to you.

Ah! I might try that smashing the micro pellets thing! The store where I live has about 2 of the things you listed lol, peas and the veggie medley. Frozen of course....:(
BTW, they are endler's hybrids, so they are all starting to show their colors and look different than eachother. They are SOOOO cute!
Oh, and they are quite the beggars! HAHA! Almost as bad as my BGK and D. Gourami. :D
Thanks!

Ah! I might try that smashing the micro pellets thing! The store where I live has about 2 of the things you listed lol, peas and the veggie medley. Frozen of course....:(
BTW, they are endler's hybrids, so they are all starting to show their colors and look different than eachother. They are SOOOO cute!
Oh, and they are quite the beggars! HAHA! Almost as bad as my BGK and D. Gourami. :D
Thanks!

Wheat germ is normally found in the health food isle and should be at every store. The knox gelatin will be in the canning/baking section normally. And white fish and shrimp are at every supermarket I've ever gone (I think I got flounder but any white fish would work). Honestly unless it's a mom & pop place all of those ingredients should be easy to find.

I make it about once a year and feed it about every other day. You could feed exclusively with it....I'm just too lazy sometime to walk downstairs to the kitchen to get it out of the freezer!

Yeah, it's a mom and pop store. I can't even get fresh spinach....lol. They said no one would touch it with a 10 foot pole. The bread always expires 2 days after you buy it, and milk. Anyway, you get the idea haha.

not what you are asking lol..... but o well

img_1069880_0_4143ebcaef28faad49b2e3313bcd7678.jpg

thought about doing micro worms?

Well, this pic you posted let me know that there is nothing wrong with one of my guppies lol, he has a fat belly too. I can't get microworms here either, so until I can get into the city, I will try the smashed micro pellets. Thanks! :)

not what you are asking lol..... but o well

img_1070022_0_4143ebcaef28faad49b2e3313bcd7678.jpg

thought about doing micro worms?

What in the heck is that? A ravioli? :D Ah on second thought it looks like an orange slice. But my first impression was that these were some Italian guppies!

Back
Top Bottom