Best heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SoveriegnR

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know if anyone else shares this, but my main fear with keeping fish is those darn heaters. I'm afraid of them breaking and electrocuting the poor fish, overheating them, or causing a fire. I've heard so many horror stories of those darn things, and I myself in the past have experienced multiple failed heater issues (they weren't extreme, but it was the very common "there is condensation IN the heater coil area" which is just setting it up for a hazard).

Are there other more reliable ways to heat a tank that doesn't require tons of equipment? Or will I just have to suck it up and stay vigilant?

You'd think after all these years, companies that make these things would have developed better products, but the issues now are the same issues I experienced years ago like... what???

The quality and reliability of heaters can vary by brand. I tend to stay away from models that incorporate glass in the design.
You might want to check out a "Heater Controller". It is basically a device which independently monitors the water temperature and controls whether or not the heater should be operating. It has a probe that sits in the water and you plug your heater(s) into it. You set the temperature and that's it. Should your heater ever go belly up and stay ON, this device will prevent it from cooking your tank.
Some popular brands include Inkbird and Finnex.

After having a power surge destroy the thermostat in a heater and cook a tank of fish, I always put the heater on a surge protector. Maybe a heater controller does something similar?

After having a power surge destroy the thermostat in a heater and cook a tank of fish, I always put the heater on a surge protector. Maybe a heater controller does something similar?

In a way it is similar. The surge protector protects your equipment from damage (and indirectly your tank, in your case). The controller will cut power to the heater if the sensor detects temperatures above the user selected value.

Oh yeah I plug EVERYTHING into surge protectors.

I'll have to look into the controller, that's a very good idea. Thank you

Cobalt and Finnex stainless heaters.

Prefer a heater you can adjust. Some heaters may need calibration so double check temp.

I always try to set it at a temp not the highest for a needed group of fish but in the mid range to lower.

Will use 2 heaters with the combined Watts needed for a larger tank. I have quite a few nano sized tanks which are more scary with heaters.

Also if you can set a tank in a room with adequate temp for the fish you have, and it doesn't get too cold in summer with AC or winter (like a basement or room less heated than the normal parts of the house).

Well i purchased the cobalt neotherm 100w along with the heater controller.

I live in Reno,NV. I don't think the heater will have to work very hard in either season heheh. It's away from AC vents and even in winter it won't get as cold as say in a northern state, BUT i still need a heater, since I don't think my water is at least 75F. (No thermometer yet, it's on its way but it certainly doesn't feel warm enough lol). Plus if I ever have to treat for ick... yeah.

But i've heard good things about Cobalt's neotherms. (there was that scary stuff back a handful of years ago where the resin in them was having issues causing the heater to explode and leak that resin goop into tanks, but i've read they since fixed that issue)

Nice! It sounds like you covered your bases. It is a very nice heater. I have a 50W I believe it is. Been giving good service for a few years now.

Very nice! I heard one of the reviewers of the product say they've had it running for 5 years now so it's good to know that it has the ability to last awhile.

Back
Top Bottom