Best HOB Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys i am looking to buy a new filter and i want to do it right this time. the filter i currently have is a topfin 60 and it is horrible. i want a filter where i can use custom media and not the crappy carbon packs. i heard fluval has good filters and i know biowheel does. or are there other options? i have a 29 gallon tank.

please let me know what yall think.

I like my penguin bio wheel 350 (50-70gal rating) I just tore off the carbon and filter media from the insert that came with it now I rubber band my own filter media to the plastic insert (much cheaper) I don't use charcoal anymore. I'm sure if u wanted u could just take the insert out and put your own choice right in and it has to separate sides to the filter so u can replace one side without wiping out your BB count

I'm slowly working to replace all of my existing filters with aquaclears, as they are the best HOB for customizing media and not losing bb due to media changes.

Laser said:
Aquaclears are your best choice for custom media, no contest.

+1... No doubt. Good flow, good media basket, easy to remove basket without needing to take entire filter off of tank, built in tab to level filter, quiet... I'll never buy a different HOB...

I like my penguin bio wheel 350 (50-70gal rating) I just tore off the carbon and filter media from the insert that came with it now I rubber band my own filter media to the plastic insert (much cheaper) I don't use charcoal anymore. I'm sure if u wanted u could just take the insert out and put your own choice right in and it has to separate sides to the filter so u can replace one side without wiping out your BB count

I run biowheels as well and take a similar approach. I actually just cut open the plastic bit and removed all the carbon. When I need to replace this media I think I'm going to switch to a combo of floss and sponge. Gonna build up the bb on the sponge on the right and then remove the cartridges slowly on the left to add floss.

If I had the money though I would do aquaclears for my next tank.

tamtam said:
If I had the money though I would do aquaclears for my next tank.

It was actually pretty cheap.. I think I got my AquaClear 70 for like $30 on sale at PetCo or something like that

If you buy a Marineland BioWheel filter and then order the generic BI03 media and clamshells from Foster Smith for them ($1 or so), you can customize anything you want in the media slots.

I like Marineland because they flow their true gph flow rate and have always worked well for me. I also like their design for strainers and mid level pickup if desired.

I also hear excellent things about the Aquaclears.

I think if you wanted media baskets and such, Aquaclear is the good choice.

It was actually pretty cheap.. I think I got my AquaClear 70 for like $30 on sale at PetCo or something like that

I seriously wish we had some of these chains up here. I live in a small city in south eastern Canada. I found 1 store that sells them, which is actually pretty new, and it's 66 bucks for an Aquaclear 70 which I would probably need to have ordered in. I'm hoping to maybe catch a sale some time and pick it up for cheaper.

Aquaclears are your best choice for custom media, no contest.

+1

For HOB filters, AquaClear rocks! I've tried Fluval, Penguin, and some other low budget filters. Didn't clean the tank well enough and couldn't handle the biomedia I wanted to put in. Make your filter work for you! Get an AC! :cool:

tamtam said:
I seriously wish we had some of these chains up here. I live in a small city in south eastern Canada. I found 1 store that sells them, which is actually pretty new, and it's 66 bucks for an Aquaclear 70 which I would probably need to have ordered in. I'm hoping to maybe catch a sale some time and pick it up for cheaper.

Check Petco.com that's where the sales are and it's usually an online only price... Good luck!

If you bring the on-line page printed out with the sale price to the store, the store will honor that price.

when I started keeping fish and looking for filters, I saw the aqua.clear and I just knew right off the bat that this! this filter is the filtrr that will do dirt. he will do his job. lol
w/o any doubt I had to get, eventually I did and it was wonderful.

What about fluval c4?! It's basically an upgraded Aquaclear amd better organization

Brox said:
What about fluval c4?! It's basically an upgraded Aquaclear amd better organization

Never ran em, can't comment. It's double the price though...

I previously had the Fluval C4 on my 46 gallon. It just didn't keep the water clear. Switched over to the AquaClear and within 24 hours, the water was clear.

Back
Top Bottom