Best HOB filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

connorilles14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm looking In to upgrading my filter on my tank. I'm currently just using the filter that came in the starter kit ( can't recall the name right now). I got the tank kit used and the filter looks pretty worn out and digesting. What would my best option be for a HOB? Tanks size is a 32g! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank Filtration

So I'm looking In to upgrading my filter on my tank. I'm currently just using the filter that came in the starter kit ( can't recall the name right now). I got the tank kit used and the filter looks pretty worn out and digesting. What would my best option be for a HOB? Tanks size is a 32g! Thanks!

Hello conn...

Depends on a couple of things: How much water you're willing to change and the kind of fish you keep.

If you can manage to change out half the tank water every week, you can downsize your filter system a little. Because, the filter is just moving water that's already clean. If you tend to slack off a little on the changes or change a small amount, then a heavy duty filter will keep the water a bit cleaner between changes.

If you keep small fish, then a strong filter may produce too much current for them.

I change out a lot of water in my tanks every week, so I keep no more than a Hagen AC 50 on my larger tanks. Just enough for proper water aeration.

Your call.

B

I agree with the aquaclear 70.

I too agree with the ac 70, i don't agree with filtration determining the amount of water needing to be changed, nitrates are nitrates and the only way out is changing water.. or some magic spell that I haven't figured out yet.. maybe B could let us in on it;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Personally I really enjoy the whisper hang on backs. Aquaclears are also great. Maybe a small emperor or penguin, but an Aquaclear would do better imo.

If you want an alternative for nitrate control.. there are devices called denitrifiers. They work with anaerobic bacteria that break down nitrate, leaving only nitrogen gas at the end of the process. Not cheap, but so far as I know, the technology works.

Salt tanks use deep sand beds for this purpose, the sand layer blocks oxygen, leaving an area underneath where anaerobes can live and break down nitrates, leaving only nitrogen gas at the end which simply goes into the air. Usually in the refugium.

If memory serves, Aquaripure is one brand name of this type of device.. I don't have one and don't know how good they are, but they advertise a lot, so I've seen the name.

Water changes are cheaper :).

I have a lot of filters and the aquaclear is awesome at everything you won't have to replace the media for a long time unlike bio wheel, tetra whisper crap those need replacement cartridges to maintain a good tank and those get costly every few weeks. Also if it breaks down all the parts are replaceable. Or u can do like I did and run a Fluval canister filter output to the left side of the aquaclear (input side) and double filter with one filter running both AC and fluval canister. Works really well either way Aqua clear 70,110 is the way to go because when u start your tank you will want another bigger tank and you will already have. Good filter to run it.

+another to the AC 70. Another filter I can't vouch for is the Fluval C5, which I think is the newer version of the AC, but it has less allowance of the water flowing over

One reason I too would suggest the Aquaclear 70 (now being relabeled as a Fluval) is that it's so easy to avoid throwing away your beneficial bacteria.

The filters with cartridges that are floss and stuff bonded together fall apart in my experience. It takes some fiddling to come up with an alternative.

But the box on the Fluval/Aquaclear can hold "whatever", and the media is very long lasting - the sponge for mechanical filtration and the ceramic for biomedia.

There are good debates out there about carbon. My personal advice is to stash the carbon for another time if you need to medicate. In its place consider a piece cut from a canister filters water polishing pad, or other chemical filtration media if you think you need it. I've seen interesting suggestions for pumice and purigen. That's a whole different thread.

I forget if you have existing seeded media. A good start is the sponge on the bottom, your existing media in the middle, and the ceramic on top. Every so often shake the debris off the sponge and the ceramic rings. And after the sponge and ceramic are populated, you can fit the water polishing pad.

The C4 looks cool too. But my 29 does well, a touch overstocked, with a Aquaclear 50.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Fluval C4

AC70 or Fluval C4

The only possible reason people keep recommending AquaClear over Fluval C series is that they've never used the 5 stage C series versus the three stage AquaClears which have no polishing pad and no trickle chamber. They are both made by the same company and the C series is the most up to date technology. Price difference is nil.

I have both and the AquaClears are absolute relics ... with severe bypass issues. The "sponge" may make your water seem "clear" but certainly not crystal clear and polsihed unless you pack it tight with floss .... and what a mess to change.

Go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/hob-filters-301925-3.html

and see my posts 29, 35, & 36.

Back
Top Bottom