Best HOB pump that causes the most current

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
My L/F Gold Danios love playing in the current of the water... whats the best HOB pump I can buy for them and whats a good air stone for them? They probably would like that... they are really fun to watch!

Nik

A good airstone would be a bubble wand that lines the back wall. The small stones do not give off much current.

What size is the tank?

If you have a descent size tank, then I would get a small powerhead that you can direct the current exactly where you want it. As for HOB and current, the bigger the better for current. I think there is possibly a way to change out the prop of some AquaClear HOB to get more flow although I can't say for certain.

Stick with a trusted name (aquaclear or marineland ect) and just oversize.

I like the power head idea as well.....even if its a small tank they make very small PHs that will work great in something as small as a 10g.Cheaper then oversizing an hob too.

I have a 100-gallon rated Cascade HOB on my 29 gallon. Keeps a nice current going. I love it, because it keeps my betta active, and if you ask me, they are boring fish if left in a bowl. I like the current keeping my fish active, and they can always hide in the conch or their ornament to get away from it.

Shame one of my two new silver dollars wasn't strong enough to avoid the intake; three times he got caught. The sad part was, my painted tetras are the same size and have no problems. At least the other silver was fine. I suspect that the one that got sucked in was sick, stressed, or just weak. It happens I suppose.

Although it is sad to see a LIVE fish get stuck to the intake.

Its a 10 gallon tank... so just overside the pump and it will work good?

Nik

Well if you already have an hob filter then leave it be and get a PH.

As mentioned keep it small...I think the smallest I have seen is 50 gph.

This is a Powerhead that woud work great with your tank. It basically just moves water around the tank. You can have it push air into the tank or just move around the water. They are great for larger tanks since they keep dead areas from forming.

Back
Top Bottom