Best light fixture for non planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobo8

Aquarium Advice Activist
What would you suggest are the best, long lasting light fixtures? I work for a business taking care of their tanks, they have:
1 280
2 180
1 90
1 75
they have the national geographic LED right now but they barely lasted a year on two of the tanks.
I am looking for some better options. Replaceable bulbs I think would be the best option. Money is not too much of an issue as long as they are good!
There are no plants. But some of the fish they have are
Koi, frontosa, gar, Bala sharks, knife fish, parrots and angels.
All in different tanks obviously haha!
Just want to know what my options are! Thanks in advance!

Current USA satellite? Not the plus. It's on sale on Amazon right now I think. You can look at the Finnex stingray, it's not really considered for plants.

Finnex stingray

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think they want LED they don't last that long. These ones lasted barely a year.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good quality LEDs will last for years. I've switched all of my tanks (3) to Finnex LEDs and am very happy. The oldest one is about 3 years old.

Crap leds may not last long but the finnex and current brands are rated at 50k hours. That's like a way long time. Bulbs are lame.. thing of the past.

Hahaha that's what I thought! The lady where I work is pretty rude. And said if I got cheap **** she would be really pissed hahaha I just want to make sure they are going to last!

I started with cheap BeamWorks LEDs, and the power supplies crapped out on both units after a year. The Finnex models seem to be built well.

Any led has the potential to crap out early, power supplies can be crap out the box so there goes that unit. The key is buying one with a good warranty/return policy. If it's sold by Amazon than you can send it on back for a new one.

Ah okay!! Thanks for the great advice! What finnex model do you suggest? No plants in these tanks

The stingray, has red,green and blue leds, make your fish colors pop but so powerful it will cause algae to grow. The 247 is a little more money but has a fancy 24-7 mode which mimics the natural light cycle. There is a knock off on amazon, viva grow, same functionality as finnex model just not as powerful, be fine for your application.

The Planted+ has an emphasis on reds which should help with plant growth. Both are potent depending on the tank depth and may produce too much light for a non-planted tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

LEDs

I've got 20 tanks on LEDs for over three years now and only one has gone bad over that time. I have had a few go out because the power supply, not the light, went out. I heartily recommend LEDs

Back
Top Bottom