Best magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spongebob69

Aquarium Advice Activist
what would be a worthwhile magazine to read/subscribe to as an aquarist? Something that would have content for both fish, plant, equipment, hints, setup, stuff like that.

I would recommend Tropical Fish Hobbyist. It seems to have the highest quality articles of the magazines I have seen. It is rather hard to find in bookstores for me though.

I just started getting a subscription to Aquarium Fish--I'm pretty impressed by what I have seen so far, but in a similiar thread ("What are you reading now") someone said they had seen errors.

savga said:
I would recommend Tropical Fish Hobbyist. It seems to have the highest quality articles of the magazines I have seen. It is rather hard to find in bookstores for me though.

That one looks like it would be a good magazine, but so expensive. I'm afraid the absolute most I'll go for a yearly subscription to any magazine is $20.

I'll chime in on the side of Tropical Fish Hobbyist. You can subscribe to it for $28 per year and, in my personal opinion, the articles are generally of superior quality.

shawmutt said:
I just started getting a subscription to Aquarium Fish--I'm pretty impressed by what I have seen so far, but in a similiar thread ("What are you reading now") someone said they had seen errors.

AFM is dribble, I'd cancel that subscription and switch over to either practical fishkeeping for Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine. They're by far the two superior magazines and are written by hobbyists for hobbyists.
AFM is written by a bunch of dimwits that recommend putting all fish into water with a neutral PH. Their articles are just very misinforming and it's not a good magazine to read when you're not advanced enough to point out the mistakes. That magazine gave me more than my fair share of bad advice.

I like Aquarium Fish as well. And cdawson, just because you don't like AFM does not mean you should call it "dribble" (instead just say "I prefer...) and call the writters "dimwitts" when you obliviously see that other people like it. And I'm not (trying to) naging or anything like that (Lord knows everyone else on here does a good job. No offence of corse).

does anyone have a suggestion for brackish tanks? brackish and marine work too. does the tropical fish hobbyist have brackish articles and pictures?
thanx!

iheartmyfish said:
does anyone have a suggestion for brackish tanks? brackish and marine work too. does the tropical fish hobbyist have brackish articles and pictures?
thanx!

I've only picked up 4 issues of practical fishkeeping, but their brackish info was very accurate and there's at least one piece in every issue I have. FAMA is good too, but stay away from AFM's advice on brackish.

Beacious: I can call AFM dribble if I want, if you had been reading it as long as I have and have watched it turn from one of the best magazines out there to a worthless 90 page advertisement full of articles aimed at making you buy marineland product you'd be a little disappointed in the magazine as well. The advice they gave 10 years ago was excellent and vert technical, now they recommend keeping goldfish and betta in 1g containers and promote bio-spheres and anything else that will make marineland a wealthier company.
It's like reading "Petcetera - The magazine", that magazine is bad for the hobby, it promotes hybrid fish, dyed fish and glo-fish as well. They're out there for the almighty dollar, not to promote the hobby and provide an understanding, as well as a source for accurate and healthy advice for aquariums and aquarists.

TFH is the magazine that I hear the best things about from some of the real pros in the hobby. Also, a lot of these pros write for TFH, whether occasionally or routinely. Also, the articles I've read in there in the past have been quite good. I've got to say that the other magazines I've read have really lacked the luster of TFH. Some are really poorly written, and misinformed. But I can't remember which ones!!

And $28 really isn't that much more for good advice. That's really quite cheap (bite the bullet, I'm afraid)! I think I'll subscribe this year... I once looked into getting my g/f a subscription to the Wall Street Journal, and boy was I surprised how much that costs!! Then again... it's daily.

fish_doc...

If you grab one of the little subscription forms that falls out of an issue of TFH then you'll be able to subscribe for the 'special' rate of $28.

Thanks, Ill stop at the store and pull one out :) I usually find good deals online but for some reason that mag always seems high online.

Back
Top Bottom