Best Mech & Bio Filtrations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread is so interesting!... and terrifyingly over my head, I still have so much to learn. But I'm gonna chime in as a relative newbie in the hobby. I use the Marineland Penguin 150 bio wheel. They seem to have worked so far for me, but I'd love to hear other opinions on them.

This thread is so interesting!... and terrifyingly over my head, I still have so much to learn. But I'm gonna chime in as a relative newbie in the hobby. I use the Marineland Penguin 150 bio wheel. They seem to have worked so far for me, but I'd love to hear other opinions on them.

Hey there! Welcome!! I'm still a newbie and kinda hope to always be one. I love learning, and this thread is just a great example of how many different ways things can be done. Most of these folks chiming in have amazing tanks and build threads.
I used to use the Marineland HOB with the biowheel. I changed to a pair of Aquaclear 50s and am amazed how quiet they are. Both of them have coarse filter sponge, a polishing cloth, Purigen and biomax. Seems to work well for me! I think I might be changing some media in the near future. Hence this thread.

? Diana Lee ?
? the Redhead ?

I found the best cut to fit pad ever several years ago and then the supplier DRFS stopped carrying them and I never found them again!
Sounds discouraging?
BRS just brought them back!
Prefilter Felt Pads - Lifegard - Bulk Reef Supply
The lifeguard pre filter pad!!!!!!
Try it out.It is as good or better then any polishing pad!
The price will not be beat!

As for bio media it all works pretty good and no matter how much bio media you have, the bacteria are only going to colonize enough to deal with your tanks bioload.

Best Mech & Bio Filtrations

A side topic but do many use pre-filters on intakes? I've got one on a HOB and it's handy I guess but every time I clean it I have to lift it out from the tank soooo gently and still have to gravel vac underneath the now bare intake to remove muck that drops off the pre filter as I lift it out. Not sure if this is normal?

A side topic but do many use pre-filters on intakes? I've got one on a HOB and it's handy I guess but every time I clean it I have to lift it out from the tank soooo gently and still have to gravel vac underneath the now bare intake to remove muck that drops off the pre filter as I lift it out. Not sure if this is normal?
I used to, but it was too much of a pita.

I have one on my shrimp tank and placing a small cup under/around it while removing the sponge can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom