Best Part of Fish Keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Late last week I went to the lfs and they had a single YoYo Loach who was very dull in color. He was a little active, but he looked a little stressed. They were selling him for $7.99 ($3 more than I had found my others). I felt bad for him because he was all alone so I bought him.

When I brought him home his color was even duller than it was at the store. The markings were almost non existant it seemed, but I knew that he was stressed to begin with and being moved again didn't help so I expected it.

Well fast forward to today, his colors are beautiful! It's dark 'yoyo' pattern is a dark, bold black now and he seems very happy to be 4 other YoYos. It's so rewarding to see a fish who is all stressed out become a happy and healthy fish in it's new home! I think this is my personal favorite part of keeping fish. :)

What's your favorite part?

myt favorite part, would have to as you said just bringing a fish home to a beautiful new place to live and knowing you saved him from the hands opfsomeone who may not care as much as we do, I love watching them swim and stretch out there fins in the new place, I love creating lucious beautiful tanks, and I may be the only one here but no matter how tedious iut is sometimes I love tank claening and maintence, keeps me occupied and outta trouble, which is what I need right now

I'd have to say my favorite part is watching fish behaviors and interactions. I love watching the cories play, and I love watching the bettas beg for food. The platies are pretty cool also - they generally travel together (they school more than my neons did ! LOL)

I think I'll have to go with joannde. Watching them is the most rewarding. Especially in a nicely planted tank with a few ornaments.

I've liked watching them grow up, almost like having kids without the diapers. The best part would have to be the fact that they know who I am and know I am the one who cares, cleans, and feeds them. It's like a little bond. My wife walks in the room, they do nothing... ...I walk in the room and they seem to follow me. (I know they just want food, but let me pretend they really just missed me)

My favorite part is going to different pet stores looking for that one fish or fishes that will compliment the set-up I have also finding that oddball fish that you have never seen example I was at a chain pet store and I found about 10 Heterandria Formosa at the time I did not know what they where neither did the employees so they sold them to me as platy’s. Since I bought them I am on my 5 generation with the originals I bought and have added 5 wild ones that someone gave to me when they got back from Florida. Finding the fish has made me want get more livebearers like Endlers or Goodeids.

I want to get 2 yo yo loaches so bad. I have a chinese algae eater who is going to a friend next week. All that's left that would bother him is a spotted Raphael Catfish. He is very calm. Will they be ok with him. I can't find any around here so I am going to have to order online which I have never done before

coming home to all the hungry, friendly faces and colours.
Each fish has it's own character.

Secondly I love it when people tell you your tank is beautiful and can't help but look when they come over.
Even though it is far below your personal expectations it still seems to be aesthetically pleasing.

~Matt

I agree with DeFeKt....I love people seeing my tanks for the first time and commenting on how much they love it! I have a high sense of pride in maintaining my tanks and keeping the healthiest environment possible for my fish :)

DeFeKt said:
coming home to all the hungry, friendly faces and colours.
Each fish has it's own character.

Secondly I love it when people tell you your tank is beautiful and can't help but look when they come over.
Even though it is far below your personal expectations it still seems to be aesthetically pleasing.

~Matt

I have to agree... my Mum came ova last night and stood there for almost an hour looking at the fish and couldn't beleive what i have done.
The most gratifying experience "Raising and Owning FISH!
And glad to suffer from MTS!

whats even better is when your fiance isn't really into fish, but she still stands there most nights and says the "hewwoo fishy wishies" and makes kissy faces and stuff.

~Matt

GouramiFanatic said:
Late last week I went to the lfs and they had a single YoYo Loach who was very dull in color. He was a little active, but he looked a little stressed. They were selling him for $7.99 ($3 more than I had found my others). I felt bad for him because he was all alone so I bought him.

When I brought him home his color was even duller than it was at the store. The markings were almost non existant it seemed, but I knew that he was stressed to begin with and being moved again didn't help so I expected it.

Well fast forward to today, his colors are beautiful! It's dark 'yoyo' pattern is a dark, bold black now and he seems very happy to be 4 other YoYos. It's so rewarding to see a fish who is all stressed out become a happy and healthy fish in it's new home! I think this is my personal favorite part of keeping fish. :)

What's your favorite part?

Something very similar to that happened to me. I got my 4th zebra loach from a Petco's tank that was supposed to be only plants. The plants were all bunched together and there were so much of them that the little loach had barely any room to swim.
It took awhile for the employee to find and catch him. I think it was definitely worth it though. He seems much happier in my 20g with the other zebras and a lot more room to swim. His colors are much nicer now and he's very active.

My favorite part is just seeing happy, healthy fish.

Back
Top Bottom