Best place for Driftwood and Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crockwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pretty intricate plan for my planted tank and I'm going to need some rock and driftwood that meets the picture I have in my head for it. I'm looking for the best places to get driftwood and rock.

For the driftwood, I've seen some pieces I like hereTX Select driftwood Large but I'm looking for other places to get it from as well. Options are a good thing.

For the rock, I'm going to need some slate or other darker stone that I can stack and build a "retaining wall" and I'm going to need some larger smooth river rocks. Both of those are open to suggestions, but I'm looking for something that has a high contrast to my substrate. It's a very light tank so the darker slate/river rock will be nice.

Where do you guys get your stuff from?

I purchase all my rock from a landscape company. I pay between 6-35 cents per pound...compared to a lfs that charges 4-5 dollars a pound.

My driftwood is always found local rivers and lakes.

I live in Hendersonville, TN and honestly, I'd be scared as **** to pull something out of the water around here and put it in my fish tank. Especially after all the flooding and run-off we've had lately.

I found some really nice big pieces on aquariumplants.com last night but they are going to run me ~$150.... ouch.

Oh, and lowryder I'm going to give you a detailed idea of what I want in your thread and see if you can help me hook it up.

I go to Petco and buy the mopani or malasian DW they have in the reptile department. It's cheaper for the same size piece of wood in the aquatics department. (funny that huh?)

Or my LFS (not a chain store) will give me a good deal if I'm buying bulk.

I go to Petco and buy the mopani or malasian DW they have in the reptile department. It's cheaper for the same size piece of wood in the aquatics department. (funny that huh?)

Or my LFS (not a chain store) will give me a good deal if I'm buying bulk.

You know i never did look for malaysian dw at petco...interesting thanks for the idea!!

I found my driftwood on e-bay. There's only probably 10 sellers or so of quality pieces, but I bought some from one of the bigger sellers. They actually sent me a few extra pieces. I was very happy with the purchase.

You know i never did look for malaysian dw at petco...interesting thanks for the idea!!

Welcome.

Some of the same wood they sell for reptiles is aquarium safe if you know which woods to look for.

Grape vine:
pros: awesome twisty shapes, good color.
cons: can have heavy tannins, breaks down faster that some other woods (gets mushy after quite a few years, can stink a bit once water logged (carbon gets the stink out well)

mopani:
pros: most awesomeness for contrasting colors and shapes
cons: very heavy tannins

malaysian:
pros: ok for color, great "windswept" looking shapes
cons: heavy tannins

manzanita wood:
pros: very cool and cheaper than the others, comparably priced to grape vine, light on the tannins
cons: a royal PITA to sink. Most people screw it onto a slate stand (no, we weren't that smart. still got a piece from January being weighted down with a rock in our 120)

Back
Top Bottom