Best place to buy a piranha?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STLharper314

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I Live in Dittmer, about an hour southwest of St. Louis city in Missouri. And I'm looking for the best place to get a piranha or a place with a great selection of fish. I've already looked at malawai aquatics, in florissant Missouri, and tropical world pets in Marlborough. I'm willing to travel about an hour in any direction. Any suggestions??

Are they even legal in your state?? But the best place to buy a Piranha is to order it. Aquascapeonline.com is the best place you can get a Piranha from. But what size tank do you have??

Lol yes they are legal in Missouri. They have them at both stores I looked at. It's a 55. It's been cycling for a month now and I only want one or 2 piranhas.

Piranhas would like a bigger school so maybe look into Exodon Tetras, Wolf Fish, or you could get a Black Piranha. They are one of the Piranhas that must be kept alone.

I just looked at the site. Holy ish. Lol I didn't know there were that many different species of piranha. Why must the black piranha be kept alone? The site says that the caribe piranah is the most aggressive.

STLharper314 said:
I just looked at the site. Holy ish. Lol I didn't know there were that many different species of piranha. Why must the black piranha be kept alone? The site says that the caribe piranah is the most aggressive.

Did you find Exodon Tetras?? Look them up on YouTube. It is a solo fish if you put it with another Black Piranha they will kill eachother. It would be great for your tank for a while but would eventually out grow it. 75 is minimum for them. A Red Wolfish is another option. Great solo fish that could be kept with similiar sized fish. You could do 25-35 Exodon Tetras in a 55 with a pleco.

No they stay small and like big schools. I saw a video of 90 in a 90 gallon on YouTube

Piranhas don't necessarily like to be in schools. If you get too many they will eat some to give themselves more space. I recommend though to get only one in that size tank. Two will be extremely aggressive to each other and I am not sure if you have room for many more than two.

Didn't want more than 2. But after watching a video.... Ummm will they attack me when I'm cleaning the tank? I like my fingers the way they are. Lol

Yes. I have had Piranha and they are a VERY skittish fish. If you walk up to the tank they will get spooked and go crazy. Sticking your hand in is as safe as any other kind of fish. But I beleive the neons will get eaten.

You could do 1 Red Belly but if you have the money for the fish and money to upgrade in the future a Black Piranha would be a much better choice. Red Bellies are very skittish and keeping 1 will only make that worse. I think a Red Wolf Fish, Exodon Tetras, or a Black Piranha would be a better choice.

bud29 said:
Maybe, but it most definitely worth a shot. I have heard that piranhas don't eat tiny fish like neons or guppy fry because they feel that it is not worth the energy to eat such a small fish.

That usually happens in heavily planted tanks with full grown Piranhas I'm 100% positive young piranhas would eat neons.

You could do 6 Wimple Piranhas. I think that would be pretty cool. Depending on how much money you want to spend you get up to 15. You could also do 1 Red Spilo piranha it looks like a Red Belly mixed with a Black Piranha it reaches 7 inches and would do better alone than a Red Belly. Its also pretty cheap $20. On aquascape they're called Sanchezi Piranha Red Form is you want to check them out. They also have Red Wolf Fish on there if you want to look at those.

Back
Top Bottom