Best Place to Buy Bolivian Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nerdelish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any tips on selecting a good Bolivian Ram and/or a good place to buy from? There are not many good fish stores around me, so it will probably be an online purchase.

I am still a ways away from being ready to add a Ram to my 29 gallon, but I want to get researching. :brows:

Does anyone have any tips on selecting a good Bolivian Ram and/or a good place to buy from? There are not many good fish stores around me, so it will probably be an online purchase.

I am still a ways away from being ready to add a Ram to my 29 gallon, but I want to get researching. :brows:

Bolivian Rams are much more hardy than GBRs, less inbreeding. Most of my online purchases have been through liveaquaria.com.
If in person look for ones with:
no fin damage
Good colouration, if stressed they will look very pale. With almost no colour.
Ask to see them fed, if they eat readily always a good sign.
No outward signs of illness, ich is the one disease I've seen most often in Rams at the LFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

heres a link to some GBR. They are a fair price with free shipping. My buddy got some and they look great. the nice thing is that they are a bonded pair. One is male and the other is female. when you buy them online you dont normally get that. Their fish have great color and he was happy with it. I will be getting a pair from them soon after I get my 30g rimless cube set up for my planted tank.

heres a link to some GBR. They are a fair price with free shipping. My buddy got some and they look great. the nice thing is that they are a bonded pair. One is male and the other is female. when you buy them online you dont normally get that. Their fish have great color and he was happy with it. I will be getting a pair from them soon after I get my 30g rimless cube set up for my planted tank.

Bolivian ram is different from GBR.

I've actually never had a bad bolivian ram, and I've had a few. They're much hardier. I've always gotten them from my LFS. If you want to shop prices Aquabid might be a good option?

I think GBR's are beautiful but I heard that Bolivians were less delicate and since I have only been keeping fish for a few months I figured I would try out Bolivians first. Seeing a picture of a Bolivian is actually what inspired me to get an aquarium!

I checked Aquabid but most sellers were selling pairs and even breeding groups...since it's the finishing touch on my 29 gallon community tank I only want one fish because I don't want to worry about aggression.

Sinibotia: Would a big box store be likely to sell me a decently healthy Bolivian?

The Wet Spot in Portland does mail order. Their stock quality is very good.

I think GBR's are beautiful but I heard that Bolivians were less delicate and since I have only been keeping fish for a few months I figured I would try out Bolivians first. Seeing a picture of a Bolivian is actually what inspired me to get an aquarium!

I checked Aquabid but most sellers were selling pairs and even breeding groups...since it's the finishing touch on my 29 gallon community tank I only want one fish because I don't want to worry about aggression.

Sinibotia: Would a big box store be likely to sell me a decently healthy Bolivian?

The Bolivian ram in my tank is actually from petco. He is about 2 years old. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442654173.260215.jpg

The Bolivian ram in my tank is actually from petco. He is about 2 years old. View attachment 278205

My local Petsmart sells them as well.

One word of caution: If you're going to get one from one of the big box stores, definitely quarantine before adding to your display tank. Lots and lots of diseases floating around in the tanks at those stores.

One word of caution: If you're going to get one from one of the big box stores, definitely quarantine before adding to your display tank. Lots and lots of diseases floating around in the tanks at those stores.

+1 honestly I would have quarantine period for any fish purchase.

Yes, I plan to. I have a qt tank that I have been using for all new additions to my tank. Right now I actually have some cardinals in the qt. :dance:

I've never had a problem with fish I've ordered from Wet Spot but I believe they have a $25 minimum order.

True. I typically order a couple of plants if I'm a little short of the minimum order (I'm always killing plants).

That's a nice looking fish! How long do Bolivians live if well cared for?

I knew a woman that retired breeders at 5-6 years so I wouldn't be surprised to see one even a couple of years older.

Heck I just had to euthanize a male GBR that was 6, this morning. I'll
Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nice. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for an online buy for a fish that will live that long. Thanks for the help :)

Back
Top Bottom