Best place to order fish from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

niks93gt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I would like to order some hatchet fish since no where around here seems to sell them. I tried Liveaquaria.com but they have a minimum $30 fish order and I don't want that many... Any other good places to order from?

Nik

In some LFS you can special order them. Not sure what the whole deal is as I've never done it, but I hear people advising to ask your LFS if they order them.

Yes, I have special ordered fish. If you have a good LFS they shouldn't charge you any extra for it. If not, I'm sure you can bump your order up to that $30 minimum by ordering something sweet, like a fancy pleco or something, LOL.

BTW, where are you located? Silver hatchets are readily available around here- I just got 6 for myself, but one jumped so I'm down to 5. Make sure you have you tank covered if you find them!

I'm located in the Augusta, Ga area. I called one store that is about thirty minutes away and they have 8 or 9 hatchet fish left. I want to get 8 so hopefully between now and next Tuesday when I'm ready to add more fish to my tank I can get them... otherwise I probably will do as severum mama said and order a nice gold nugget pleco with 8 hatchet fish.

Nik

GNs are awesome but IME they are somewhat difficult to keep. Mine only lasted a couple of months. I think my next fancy pleco will be a snowball or Queen Arabesque- they are so cool. Good luck finding your hatchets!

I'd rather a Bristlenose but I didn't see any listed. My 75 gallon was cycled with old filter media, lightly planted and hasn't showed any signs of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates since Monday when I added 8 Bleeding Heart Tetras and a 2 inch BGK so I'm gonna go ahead and get a school of 8 hatchetfish tomorrow. I'm pretty sure in a 75 gallon with that small of a bioload that if the bacteria needs to catch up some, that the ammonia/nitrites will disperse and not be at a dangerous level. Will make it a lot easier than having to order the hatchets.

Nik

It will be ok. My personal rule is, when in doubt, do a water change. If it were my tank, I would add the hatchets, then do a 30% water change the next day. Chances are, things would be fine if you didn't bother with the pwc, but I like to play it safe. If nothing else, the fish will appreciate the extra clean water.

I definitely keep up with my water changes :) I'll be watching the ammonia/nitrites closely. My wonderful g/f got me a python for christmas (along with a few other fish goodies including my heater and BGK).

Nik

Edit:
Got the hatchets... along with a L199 Pleco. <=== impulse buyer. Gonna keep a close eye on the water params over the next few days but I think I'll be okay. The genious at the LPS put 10 hatchets in the bag instead of 8. I looked at the bag and thought I counted 8 but when I got home I counted 10 when I got home.

I had to Google L199- looks like a VERY cool find. Mind if I ask what yours cost, and how big it is? I've never even seen one available around here.

severum mama said:
I had to Google L199- looks like a VERY cool find. Mind if I ask what yours cost, and how big it is? I've never even seen one available around here.

Its definitely a beautiful pleco. I asked over on plecofanatics.com about it and they said max will be about 4.5". Right now its about 2.5". It was only $28 which according to the pleco site is also about $20 cheaper than normal. They had a few more. I'm considering getting a couple more if they aren't territorial. I'd rather have them than corys... plus my BGK as it gets older won't be as aggressive to the pleco. 4 days since tfish have been added and still no trace of ammonia/nitrite.

Nik

I have great luck with aquabid. their rating system helps you see who is doing what, and it can help you decide on a seller.

good luck.

Back
Top Bottom