Best plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have tons of different plants with my Molly's. They don't eat any of them.

Hardy Plants

What are the best plants to use with balloon mollies ? I want plants they won't eat to shreds. Any advice on the best way to arrange/plant them?

Hello Josh...

You definitely want hardy plants like Anubias nana and nangi, Java fern, Onion, Amazon Sword and Pennywort. Mollies are especially fond of the algae that grows on these plants. So, you'll want good lighting and feed a balanced diet and feed a little more often, so you have a steady nitrate level to support the algae.

Don't neglect the water changes. Mollies are the most sensitive of changes in water conditions of all the livebearing fishes and changing a lot of tank water and changing it often, will guarantee stable water conditions. You'll need to change at least half the tank water weekly in you Mollies' tank.

B

In addition to the suggestions above, you can try floating plants to help minimize algae on the plants. They'll both lower the light levels and suck up excess nitrates, which should starve out the algae. If the plants don't have algae on them, the mollies should ignore them.

Back
Top Bottom