Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
basketballqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 51
Unhappy best plants to get rid of nitrates?

I've been having a problem with my nitrates being completly off the chart they are so high! I posted a thread a while back about this and someone told me that the only way to really get rid of them was water changes and that plants consumed them...

Well the nitrate problem is so bad that I am changing about 50% of the water every 5 days and my readings are still off the chart. It is a pretty planted tank.. I can't exactly remember all the plants, but i know there is a LOT of java moss, and also some hornwort.. I also have bit duckweed floating on the top.

Am i doing something wrong? Also could this be because there is too much oxygen in the water? I know that sounds silly but I do have a large bubble wand.. plus the filter aggitates the water. It's a 20 gallon tank and all it has is 8 adult guppies, some babies, and 2 bandit corys with a filter rated for a 30 gallon tank! There are also a ton of RCS that keep breeding and there are babies everywhere!

Also here are my other readings:
ammo: 0 ppm
nitrites: 0 ppm
ph: 7.6
NITRATES: > 160 PPM!!!!

any help will be greatly appreciated
__________________

__________________
---------
Fish keep me busy why my SO is deployed =)
basketballqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
rich311k's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 12,189
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Have you tested your tap water? There is no way that nitrate reading is right other wise. Fast growing stems like your hornwort chew through nitrates.
__________________

__________________
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
basketballqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 51
oh yeah i forgot to mention the most important part.. my boyfriend is coming home for leave from a deployment soon and i will be away from the apartment for two weeks so i need something that is going to make my water okay for that long without a water change....
__________________
---------
Fish keep me busy why my SO is deployed =)
basketballqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 1 Year +
Community Moderator
 
mfdrookie516's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Winchester, Ky
Posts: 19,166
Test the nitrates of distilled water. I think you're getting a false reading. There's just no logical way I can imagine that your tank would have nitrates that high.
__________________
-Jonathan

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
basketballqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich311k View Post
Have you tested your tap water? There is no way that nitrate reading is right other wise. Fast growing stems like your hornwort chew through nitrates.
that's the weird part... my java moss grows like crazy but I haven't noticed my hornwort growing at all since I've had it... and I've had it for about 2 1/2 months now. tap water tests at 0 for everything.
__________________
---------
Fish keep me busy why my SO is deployed =)
basketballqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
siva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,911
Are you by any chance using one nitrate test kit and the card from a different kit?
__________________
siva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
roydooms's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,323
Are you using API nitrate test kit? If yes, did you shake the nitrate bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds before adding it? And did you shake it for a minute after adding 10 drops of bottle #2 and let it stand for 5 minutes before checking the color?
__________________
Comprehensive List of Plant Profiles
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-153985.html
roydooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballqt View Post
I've been having a problem with my nitrates being completly off the chart they are so high! I posted a thread a while back about this and someone told me that the only way to really get rid of them was water changes and that plants consumed them...

Well the nitrate problem is so bad that I am changing about 50% of the water every 5 days and my readings are still off the chart. It is a pretty planted tank.. I can't exactly remember all the plants, but i know there is a LOT of java moss, and also some hornwort.. I also have bit duckweed floating on the top.

Am i doing something wrong? Also could this be because there is too much oxygen in the water? I know that sounds silly but I do have a large bubble wand.. plus the filter aggitates the water. It's a 20 gallon tank and all it has is 8 adult guppies, some babies, and 2 bandit corys with a filter rated for a 30 gallon tank! There are also a ton of RCS that keep breeding and there are babies everywhere!

Also here are my other readings:
ammo: 0 ppm
nitrites: 0 ppm
ph: 7.6
NITRATES: > 160 PPM!!!!

any help will be greatly appreciated
Just to be certain, I'd suggest reviewing the no3 testing steps in the test kit instructions. IMO/E Anacharis is the best sponge for no3 I've found to date.
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
basketballqt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
Are you by any chance using one nitrate test kit and the card from a different kit?
I'm using my API master kit... and it's the card that comes with it and not the one for another kit.. although that does sound like something I would do...

Quote:
Are you using API nitrate test kit? If yes, did you shake the nitrate bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds before adding it? And did you shake it for a minute after adding 10 drops of bottle #2 and let it stand for 5 minutes before checking the color?
yeah I am! I did it exactly as the bottle read... add drops from bottle 1, mix in, shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds, add drops, shake for 1 minute!

Quote:
Just to be certain, I'd suggest reviewing the no3 testing steps in the test kit instructions. IMO/E Anacharis is the best sponge for no3 I've found to date.
I reviewed them and im doing it right... Thanks for the plant suggestion! I'll look that up and possibly add one to the aquarium!
__________________
---------
Fish keep me busy why my SO is deployed =)
basketballqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator
 
jetajockey's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: In a swamp near you /Pensacola, FL
Posts: 11,492
nitrate soaker uppers: anacharis/water sprite/duckweed/hornwort

I agree with the above posts that you need to find out why you have such extreme levels of nitrates.
__________________

__________________
jetajockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nitrates, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: looking for plants you want to get rid of strokinbyeu Archive 1 04-12-2011 08:39 PM
lots of plants to get rid of. mr funktastic Archive 15 05-04-2006 06:27 PM
anybody got some plants/trimmings they want to get rid of? mr funktastic Archive 7 02-22-2006 09:25 PM
plants to get rid of malkore Midwest & the Dakotas 3 03-31-2005 03:43 PM
Anybody getting rid of any plants? cheezysquirrelz Archive 0 01-30-2005 11:19 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Aquarium News Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with Aquarium News in your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]