Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unhappy best plants to get rid of nitrates?

I've been having a problem with my nitrates being completly off the chart they are so high! I posted a thread a while back about this and someone told me that the only way to really get rid of them was water changes and that plants consumed them...

Well the nitrate problem is so bad that I am changing about 50% of the water every 5 days and my readings are still off the chart. It is a pretty planted tank.. I can't exactly remember all the plants, but i know there is a LOT of java moss, and also some hornwort.. I also have bit duckweed floating on the top.

Am i doing something wrong? Also could this be because there is too much oxygen in the water? I know that sounds silly but I do have a large bubble wand.. plus the filter aggitates the water. It's a 20 gallon tank and all it has is 8 adult guppies, some babies, and 2 bandit corys with a filter rated for a 30 gallon tank! There are also a ton of RCS that keep breeding and there are babies everywhere!

Also here are my other readings:
ammo: 0 ppm
nitrites: 0 ppm
ph: 7.6
NITRATES: > 160 PPM!!!!

any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 05-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Have you tested your tap water? There is no way that nitrate reading is right other wise. Fast growing stems like your hornwort chew through nitrates.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

oh yeah i forgot to mention the most important part.. my boyfriend is coming home for leave from a deployment soon and i will be away from the apartment for two weeks so i need something that is going to make my water okay for that long without a water change....
Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 1 Year +
Community Moderator

Test the nitrates of distilled water. I think you're getting a false reading. There's just no logical way I can imagine that your tank would have nitrates that high.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich311k View Post
Have you tested your tap water? There is no way that nitrate reading is right other wise. Fast growing stems like your hornwort chew through nitrates.
that's the weird part... my java moss grows like crazy but I haven't noticed my hornwort growing at all since I've had it... and I've had it for about 2 1/2 months now. tap water tests at 0 for everything.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you by any chance using one nitrate test kit and the card from a different kit?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using API nitrate test kit? If yes, did you shake the nitrate bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds before adding it? And did you shake it for a minute after adding 10 drops of bottle #2 and let it stand for 5 minutes before checking the color?
Old 05-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballqt View Post
I've been having a problem with my nitrates being completly off the chart they are so high! I posted a thread a while back about this and someone told me that the only way to really get rid of them was water changes and that plants consumed them...

Well the nitrate problem is so bad that I am changing about 50% of the water every 5 days and my readings are still off the chart. It is a pretty planted tank.. I can't exactly remember all the plants, but i know there is a LOT of java moss, and also some hornwort.. I also have bit duckweed floating on the top.

Am i doing something wrong? Also could this be because there is too much oxygen in the water? I know that sounds silly but I do have a large bubble wand.. plus the filter aggitates the water. It's a 20 gallon tank and all it has is 8 adult guppies, some babies, and 2 bandit corys with a filter rated for a 30 gallon tank! There are also a ton of RCS that keep breeding and there are babies everywhere!

Also here are my other readings:
ammo: 0 ppm
nitrites: 0 ppm
ph: 7.6
NITRATES: > 160 PPM!!!!

any help will be greatly appreciated
Just to be certain, I'd suggest reviewing the no3 testing steps in the test kit instructions. IMO/E Anacharis is the best sponge for no3 I've found to date.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
Are you by any chance using one nitrate test kit and the card from a different kit?
I'm using my API master kit... and it's the card that comes with it and not the one for another kit.. although that does sound like something I would do...

Quote:
Are you using API nitrate test kit? If yes, did you shake the nitrate bottle #2 for at least 30 seconds before adding it? And did you shake it for a minute after adding 10 drops of bottle #2 and let it stand for 5 minutes before checking the color?
yeah I am! I did it exactly as the bottle read... add drops from bottle 1, mix in, shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds, add drops, shake for 1 minute!

Quote:
Just to be certain, I'd suggest reviewing the no3 testing steps in the test kit instructions. IMO/E Anacharis is the best sponge for no3 I've found to date.
I reviewed them and im doing it right... Thanks for the plant suggestion! I'll look that up and possibly add one to the aquarium!
Old 05-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #10
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

nitrate soaker uppers: anacharis/water sprite/duckweed/hornwort

I agree with the above posts that you need to find out why you have such extreme levels of nitrates.

Tags
nitrates, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com