Best Product to Clean Mineral Build-Up??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Every week when I do my water change, I wipe down the calcium and other mineral deposit build-up on the inside of the glass lid of my tank. Currently, all I am using is a paper towel and water. It gets it clean enough...but not clear, you know? I know that there is aquarium spray that I have seen in the LFS. Does that stuff actually work? If not, what other products are out there, or even what products might I already have that are effective in cleaning these mineral deposit build-ups? Thanks!

The best, and safest non-chemical thing I've found to clean off the mineral deposits: white distilled vinegar. I dilute mine 50 percent with water when doing routine maintenance; the build-up comes right off. If I have old(er) equipment that hasn't been cleaned in a long time, I use the vinegar at full strength, and scrub with a sponge. After all the build-up is removed, I rinse vigorously with water to make sure all of the vinegar's acidity is neutralized. I then wipe it down with paper towels, and it shines like crystal, and leaves no streaks.

My mom taught me that trick, and it works great on fine crystal, glasses, household windows, etc. The smell is a little strong, but dissipates easily.

HTH

Vinegar is great. Otherwise use a razor blade and just slice right through it. I have also heard good things about oxyclean, but I have never used it.

Ok, so, I tried the vinigar for the first time today, and I would just like to thank all of you for the suggestion, because every part I cleaned looked practically new when I was done!

The only downside? Now, I REALLY want a salad! :p

I have something i just can't get clean. The black top to my aquarium has a white haze on them. I've tried scrubbing and soaking them in vinager and it doesn't help. Are they just faded bad or can i try something else?

Back
Top Bottom