Best sand for corydoras: Play sand or Pool filter sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cass95

Aquarium Advice Freak
Which is better for corydoras, play sand or Pool filter sand? I plan on creating a cory and Shrimp only tank. Tank will be planted with low lights.
This is the play sand I plan to purchase if it is good for cory. Also what color is the Quikrete sand?

Attachments

• 1451533181106.jpg
    1451533181106.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 190
I would use pool filter sand tbh. Its easier to clean than play sand. Both will be just fine for corys.

I use pfs also. Not nearly as dusty. Home improvement type stores may still have some depending on your area. The Menards by me here in the Midwest was out but I went to another Menards and they had about 20 bags still. Buying at the pool store costs like 3x as much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know about that bre, Walmart had the same kind as my Local pool store at double/triple the price, Pool store had 50ibs for $8.

What?! Wow! Pool stores here it's $20 for 50 lbs at two different pool stores. Menards $7.99. Guess it depends on where you live. I will say that the pool store variety was nicer and I didn't even need to rinse it .

Brenna

HD? Excuse me if i sound stupid lol

I got one bag at walmart before i check the pool store 5mins away. Needed double/triple the washing.

Wow, now i feel really dumb....

If it makes you feel better It took me 2 years to figure out XD was a smiley face..once I saw it like that I realized so many people misused it..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its usually a bit more, not much though.... But its out of season here. Which makes it cheap right now.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dont honestly remember... Ill se if i have any bags in garage.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just learned XD is a smiley face. Would not have guessed that...

+1 for pool filter sand. I use it in all my tanks and my only complaint is that filter flow can push it around since it doesnt pack down (This technically is a good thing as it wont pack and cause pockets of ammonia from uneaten food or etc). And you can whip it up and itll just sink down instead of making the water cloudy and going everywhere. I tried play sand from walmart once and rinsed it for hours and it still made the water muddy. Plus i personally like the white sand look. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks for everyone's opinion. I found Quikrete pool filter sand at home depot. Still gonna keep an eye out at other local hardware stores.

Back
Top Bottom