best shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cherry shrimp or bumblebee shrimp if you'd like them to reproduce. Small, colorful, and like to eat algae.

If you're not interested in them reproducing, Amano shrimp. Slightly bigger, very active, also great algae eaters.

For a single shrimp? Vampire (Cameroon Fan Shrimp).. they are very nice to watch and also polish the water :)

Wood shrimp/Bamboo Shrimp (often sold as Banana shrimp) are pretty good also. I prefer fan shrimp as they do some fun stuff and are almost always goin..

Vampires get max 6 inchs. The only problem I have with them is that you won't see them very often if you give them places to hide. Other then that they are great. When they are very young 1-1.5 or under they are usually brownish in color. When they get bigger they will start a very dark blue and as they grow it will turn to an almost electric blue (like the cryafish color) when they are full adult. I currently have 3 all about 2.5 to 3 inches long with 2 bamboo shrimp.

Bamboo shrimp are more active then vampires and they turn a very nice red color when they are happy.

If you want groups of shrimp I'd go with cherries because they (and other neocardina) are the only ones that will breed in freshwater and in a planted tank they look great with their red color on the green plants.

from the description on that website above the vampre shrimp are good but i do no like how they look. i have chosen 3 sgrimp i like. they are the following

Amano shrimp
Red crystal shrimp
cherry shrimp

Out of those 3 what one would be the best?

TIA

Kyle

well to my knowledge all of them are algae eaters. i was gonan say it depends on that sort of function u want the shrimp to do. filter feeders or algae feeders. but uve selected all algae eaters. i personally like the cherry shrimp. i just went and viewed the red crystal shrimp and i think they look cool. I personally reccommend the cherry shrimp... thats just from my own personal experience tho

i have no experience with th other shrimp

quadrider5953 said:
from the description on that website above the vampre shrimp are good but i do no like how they look. i have chosen 3 sgrimp i like. they are the following

Amano shrimp
Red crystal shrimp
cherry shrimp

Out of those 3 what one would be the best?

TIA

Kyle

Amano Shrimp will not reproduce in a freshwater aquarium. They are larger and more active than your other two choices.

Red Crystal shrimp and Cherry shrimp are basically the same, except for coloration.

All three are very good algae eaters. The choice between them would really be a matter of personal preference.

For price and availability, cherry reds or amano are the best bet. Crystal reds are few and far between, and relatively way too expensive if you can find them. They come from China, don't live long when bagged, so not many people have them. The few that do price them accordingly. Petshrimp.com currently has cherry reds 10 for $15, or $1.50/shrimp, however many you buy, same price for shipping. As far as breeding, the cherry reds will probably reproduce quite well, so you won't have to buy more to replace the ones that die off.

All of the shrimp listed come from Asia unless the cherry shrimp are tank raised (wild caught in Asia).

Vampires come from Africa.

As mentioned the cherries will reproduce in freshwater and amanos will not. I keep both becuase I like the size amanos get and the cherries have a very nice red color. I'll eventually set up a brackish tank and breed the amanos but it won't be any time soon.

Actually, the cherry reds are like goldfish, they don't occur naturally. They have been selectively tank-bred, same with the crystal reds. The crystal reds will cost less as they become more commonly available, just like anything else :wink:

my 2 cents is that I'm setting up a shrimp only tank and going with cherry reds - small size, good algea eaters, might breed, and I like their coloration.

Hello all.

I've been reading this convosation with much interest becasue I'm very interested in adding soem shrimp to my tank. However, I live in Perth (Australia) and haven't seen any places that sell shrimp (cgerry ones looks good 4 I I thinks).
Does anyone know where I could get some?
Cheers.
Ry.

ps. Sorry for deviating from the train of thought....though I feel quadrider and myself are basically looking for the same thing...SHRIMP!

In Australia, I'd try posting some wanted ads on a few different forums. Aquabid.com always has listings for cherry shrimp, but I'm not sure about shipping overseas. I'm sure it could be done airport-to-airport to get the shrimp there alive, but you would have to pick them up at the airport. If you could find some closer to home, it would be less costly for shipping. Try a google search too, that might turn up some options.

How many shrimp can you put in a tank per gallon? I've been interested in adding some cherry shrimp for a while as well but I haven't found any at stores near me. I was thinking about ordering online with www.petshrimp.com , because their shipping isn't too bad, but they have a minimum order of 10. I already have 4 ghost shrimp so would 14 be too much for a 29 gallon with fish (5 zebra danios, 1 pearl gourami)?

10 cherries would be fine but I'm not sure if your gourami would nip them because they are smaller then ghost shrimp, but if there haven't been any problems between the gourami and ghost shrimp I'd try it.

fastfly48 said:
Hello all.

I've been reading this convosation with much interest becasue I'm very interested in adding soem shrimp to my tank. However, I live in Perth (Australia) and haven't seen any places that sell shrimp (cgerry ones looks good 4 I I thinks).
Does anyone know where I could get some?
Cheers.
Ry.

As far as I know, their import is highly restricted, if not banned altogether. Don't despair: Australia possesses a wide range of native species which are, in my opinion, considerably nicer.

Thanks Veneer...
Though you wouldn't know where I could find some of these "considerably nicer" shrimp would you? PerhapsI need to extend my search out past all the pet stores....scary stuff! hahaha...
Ry.

Back
Top Bottom