Best SMALL algae eater for a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

erik7

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking for an algae eater that is small, good fit for a 29 gallon.. peaceful, and would be great if it ate brown algae as well, as I have the most of that in my tank.

I've heard catfish.. but I don't remember which specices it was.

Thanks

Otocinclus catfish eat brown algae... or diatoms... you could get a school of five or six in your 29 gallon adn even a small pleco.. like a bristlenose.

i have 2 otto cats in my 5 gallon and they work miracles. they completly cleaned my whole tank in 2 days from when i added them. and it was BAD

You could also get a pitbull pleco (LA25). They only get about 2.25" and belong to the suckermouth catfishes, too.

I like their looks better than the bristlenoses, but that's just my opinion.

i have both a common pleco and 2 oto's in my 55 gallon and never have any algae problems.. of course my pleco is going to get HUGE, which may be a problem :( but i didn't know at the time i got him.
I am planning on getting more oto's because they school and do such an excelleng job... but make sure with any algae eater that you supplement with veggies and/or wafers.. i use both, and my pleco LOVES zucchini!

Note that Ottos are very sensitive to water quality. Lot's of tales on the forums of them dying very early.

Also they tend to eat all the algae then may or may not take wafers and may or may not survive after that.

I have Amano Shrimp and they are great. Great to watch, eat most algae types and anything other bits they can find. All my leaves look lovely and clean with just enough algae around to make it look natural.

i wish they eat hair algae, but they do not....ottos usually only eat diatom algae and nothing else, but as said before please make sure to always suplement with something else such as fresh veggies.

HTH :D

Back
Top Bottom