best species for algae cleanup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
well, we tried keeping ottos, but sadly figured out they only eat soft algae, and we tried using al-gone and i'm assuming we killed 4 out of 6 of them with it. (either because of the meds or killing off their food source). plus, i figured out that they NEED soft algae no matter what, so when we get CO2 i fear we might not be able to keep em.

i was wanting to try getting a good dwarf pleco to give a try, probably a tiger pleco or something (or some sort of snails that don't multiply like crazy).

in your experience, what have you guys had luck with?

also, i've seen clams on AZ gardens web site that look like they'd be cool for eating fish waste and micro organisms
any of you had any of those before?

I was looking at a site the other day (sorry, can't for the life of me find the link again . . .I looked I swear), but it showed this giant tank, probably 350 gallons or better and the entire back wall of it was covered in algae . . . then the guy put in 8 2 to 3 inch bristlenose plecos and showed a picture of the same tank two days later . . . it was completely clean! It was amazing . . . I'm thinkin' they are the way to go . . . little algae MACHINES they are!

Bristlenose and rubbernose plecos are among the few that are tenacious enough to actually make a dent in green spot algae. Other algae falls before them. They eat like a fish insane.

SAE.jpg

SAE hands down..........the best IMHO.......They haven't invented an algae that they won't eat.

NewFish said:
Don't laugh, but what about chinese algae eaters?? I have always had great sucess with them.

Hey........your my neighbor! I live a town over from you. :D

But to comment on your comment :? I have heard that Chinese Algea Eaters don't actually eat algae.

donttaptheglass said:
I'm still wondering how they got the name.

Ok the more I read, [looking for an answer to your question] it seems that most agree that they eat algae for about the first six months of their life....then stop for the most part.

So I guess they get their name from the pet industry.......it's not the coolest looking fish so if you call it a algae eater.....it sells better.

You could try amano shrimp or flower shrimp as they're called. They're supposed to be awesome on cleanup. They help with detritus on the bottom, they eat algae, and thye even help siphon the water column. Just beware if you put them with small fish- the shrimp gets predatory on them...lol

I have 2 regualr plecos now and they eat the brown and loose algae but not the green spot algae, which is all that is left for th emost part. I am getting BN plecos in the enxt couple days so I will let you know if they take care of it.

hmmm ok guys. i guess i've narrowed it down to either the siamese algae eater or the bristlenose pleco.

now the only thing is, i don't want a fish that is dependant on algae to survive (such as the otos)

which fish do you think would be better and more hardy? the SAE or bristlenose pleco?

Seems to me, in either case they can be fed zuchini and like items to keep them satisfied. It's probably down to which one you think is the cooler lookin' fish.

I'm biased toward the Pleco so that would be the way I would vote. I've looked into the SAE's as well just to have them both, but you may find as I did that finding TRUE SAE's can be difficult. Be very careful if you do go that way that you don't get something that looks very close and is labeled SAE, but turns out that it isn't.

With the bristlenose . . . well, there's just no mistaking that . . . lol

physicsdude said:
You could try amano shrimp or flower shrimp as they're called. They're supposed to be awesome on cleanup. They help with detritus on the bottom, they eat algae, and thye even help siphon the water column. Just beware if you put them with small fish- the shrimp gets predatory on them...lol
I agree.... amano shrimp or red cherry shrimp are fun guys to watch, add some variety, and also clean out microorganisms (Like the clam you mentioned). The clams just go underwater, and you never see them..... I just have to poke mine on occasion to make sure they are alive :)

If your tank doesnt have any fish that will eat shrimp, I would add about 30 of them (Being you have a 92 gallon), in addition to your BN Plecos

I say bristlenose pleco. They are not dependant on algae. Mine eat food that falls to the bottom and the algae. I have mine in a fancy goldfish tank and they are not aggresive towards the goldfish. I have SAE in another tank and they are good too. I just prefer the plecos.

Personally, I have never managed to kill a pleco. On the flip side, I have never been able to keep SAE alive for more than 3 months.

Back
Top Bottom