Best Tank Material??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GreenGiant

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just moved into a new apartment, and I need a new tank (having had to give my old one to a friend because of space constraints in the moving truck) :(

Anyway, I've been looking around, and can't figure out whats best: glass or acrylic. What are the pros and cons of each? Also, I've seen people posting about Starphire glass. What is it?

Glass is cheaper and does not scratch as easily as acrylic. However, Acrylic is lighter--especially if you move a lot. As for Starphire glass--I have no idea.

glass = heavy, but very durable.
Acrylic = Lightwieght, very break resistant (great for tank busters) but scratches (Royal pleco on the face will chew it up)

Haven't head of starphire glass, sounds like a type of tempering.

The Starfire glass has a much lower iron content than regular glass. It is very clear...as clear as acrylic. It's marketed under a couple of different names...I can't recall the others though. It's expensive and I don't think it would be worth the extra cost on a tank that used 1/4" or thinner glass. On a larger tank, using 3/8 or thicker glass, I think it makes a big difference when used on the front wall of the tank. The greenish tint of regular glass is much more noticeable on the thicker glass.

Ouch! That is expensive! I think I'll probably hold off on the starphire for now and put the money towards a slightly larger tank.

Has anyone had serious problems with plecos scratching acrylic tanks? Also, I'd like to get a couple of snails. I know that snails (and other gastropods) have a hard tooth like part in their mouth (the radula). Does anyone know if snails may scratch acrylic as well?

ive never had a snail scratch the glass by them selfes but once i was using my cleaning magnit and i pushed a snail across the tank with it and it maked a scratch on the acryllic jsut watch out for that

and make sure you have driftwood in there if you get a royal plec (or a different panaque), they will rasp at the face of the tank, read a funny artical where a guy removed the driftwood because a royal was chewin it up, only to come down the next day to a tank he couldn't see in :D

IMO, acrylic can scratch too easy and I wouldn't want to keep buffing the face out to see in, but if you are careful with what you put in there, it would work well.

Back
Top Bottom