best tank mates for a pair of german rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscarbuffalo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank currently being cycled. I am going to get a pair of german rams but i was wondering what the best tank mates are. I was thinking one or two half banded spiny eels or an apisto.

I have a 20 gallon tank currently being cycled. I am going to get a pair of german rams but i was wondering what the best tank mates are. I was thinking one or two half banded spiny eels or an apisto.

I would go for an apisto or a pair of them. IMO The spiny eel will get way too big for a 20 gallon. I would also think of maybe some smaller tetras or rasboras or dwarf rainbow instead to add life to the tank but it's all a matter of taste

I wouldn't do GBRs in an immature tank give it around 4-6 months after cycling. The eel with need at least a 30g tank, Apisto too need a 30g tank.

Appistos also can't tolerate the high temperature that rams like if I remember correctly.

Half banded spiny eels only get 6 inches long, is that still to big for a 20 gallon?

Half banded spiny eels only get 6 inches long, is that still to big for a 20 gallon?

For sure the 20 is too small, IMO they need a 40long or bigger. They might fit but need room I swim and burrow

Two pairs if cichlids? Prob not the best idea, my apisto's are comfy at 77-78, my gbr's liked 82, in the same tank they would most like battle

From what I've heard to you can never keep more than one pair of dwarfs in a tank unless it's very large and has lots and lots of room.

From what I've heard to you can never keep more than one pair of dwarfs in a tank unless it's very large and has lots and lots of room.

I'm not too sure about not keeping more then one pair of dwarfs I have always had a few pairs in my tanks without any issue (usually at least 50 gallon)

Keeping two pairs of dwarf cichlids in the same tank can work, if they have enough room to claim. There would still be fighting amongst them, especially during spawn but you could handle that by cutting off lines of sight. With that said I think I would have to say this wouldn't work very well in a 20 gallon. There just isn't enough room, especially when one of them spawns. My GBRs will try to control my whole 55 gallon tank.

I'm not the most experienced guy around here but what about Kuhli Loaches? They like warm water and are always up to funny antics! I've kept them alone as well and mine was very active! Always climbing trees and just being really cute.

I had neon tetras with my gbr's in a 29 gallon. The tetras would school really well and they are one of the few tetra species I enjoy. They look great in a planted tank.

I also agree with the kuhli loaches or maybe a single bristlenose pelco.

Ember or ruby red tetras would be a good option. Rams are shy by nature so you want a dither fish

What about a tank with two GBRs, one apisto and two badis badis. I am also thinking about a bottom feeder. I am currently looking at corys, asian stone catfish, emperor pleco, clown plecos and twig catfish. Which would you recomend?

I would do one pair of rams and a large school of tetras. The above stocking option is trouble waiting to happen IMO. When dealing with these guys you need to stock carefully.

Back
Top Bottom