Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

It keep all my tanks at 78 w/no problems.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
i heard warmer temps accelerate your fishes lifespan, ive been trying to stay at 76 for mine

Old 07-05-2006, 12:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepotFish
I agree, you shouldn't mix coldwater clouds and platies with warm water neons
these are at two different tanks...
Old 07-05-2006, 02:27 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarMedina1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DepotFish
I agree, you shouldn't mix coldwater clouds and platies with warm water neons
these are at two different tanks...
wasnt stated beforehand. state size of tank, inhabitants and then we can make a better assessment.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:59 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Chilli
The platys would tolerate the cooler water and the white clouds would prefer it, but I wouldn't keep neons in anything lower than the 79-82F range.
Since neons will breed at 72F, so, 80F is too warm for them. Perhaps that is why so many people report having problems keeping them alive.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:38 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The biggest cause of neon tetra death (other than neon tetra disease) is the fish not being properly acclimated to new aquariums. Warm water is hardly to blame for that.

Neons are a tropical fish from the tropical waters of South America. That means warmer water. I know several discus hobbyists who keep neons in their tanks, which run in the 80-86F range; the neons seem rather happy to me. I've kept them in ram tanks running anywhere from 80-83F. No problems there, other than that acclimation trouble at the very beginning.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hc8719
i heard warmer temps accelerate your fishes lifespan, ive been trying to stay at 76 for mine
This is a tricky sentence. By accelerate their lifespan do you mean shorten it, or lenghten it?

It is generally considered that higher temperatures (above their optimal which varies fish to fish) will decrease their life expenctancy.

For example, a commonly used treatment for Ich is increasing the tank temps to >86F for a week or 3. While this most likely decreases their life expectancy, you have to take the lesser of 2 evils (possible death or shorter lifespan).
Old 07-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Higher temperatures will increase a fish's metabolic rate; this doesn't mean that it decreases the life cycle of a fish- it simply "speeds" things up. They grow at a faster rate, they sexually mature at a faster rate, and ultimately, they'll die at a faster rate. It's rather like burning a candle at both ends.

Of course, you're talking about a significant temperature increase over a prolonged period of time. A couple of degrees higher for a few weeks isn't going to have much effect on the fish's life cycle.
Voodoo Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Chilli

Neons are a tropical fish from the tropical waters of South America. That means warmer water. I know several discus hobbyists who keep neons in their tanks, which run in the 80-86F range; the neons seem rather happy to me. I've kept them in ram tanks running anywhere from 80-83F. No problems there, other than that acclimation trouble at the very beginning.
Not all fish from "tropical" SA come from warm waters. The last time I kept neons, they were in an unheated tank, and they did fine. They grew to full size, and flourished. Cardinals, on the other hand, do come from warm waters, and 80F is the right temp for them. There are more than a few fish that come from cooler waters, including many of the coryadoras species. With every degree that the temp goes up in a tank, so does the risk of problems, from low oxygen, to increased bacterial pathogens. IME keeping the fish at the low end of their preferred range leads to fewer problems in the long run. It also saves on energy consumption, and when you have multiple tanks, that is a factor. Five of my tanks are heated, and five aren't. All the tanks with livebearers are unheated, and all fish are flourishing at around 70F, with fluctuations to a low of 66F on hot days, and a high of 73F, on cool days. So, while your experience may differ, the fish in the original post will all do well at lower temps.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com