Best tropical fish food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishayFishay

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this topic has been talked about before but there is a new bunch of users everyday on AA, I want to hear from everyone though. What do you all think is the highest quality yet affordable tropical fish food on the market? The color enhancing foods are in this category for me too. Let me know guys.

New Life Spectrum is pretty well known as the best as far as pellet food goes. Very good ingredients.

I use NLS, Omega One, Hikari, and San Fransisco Bay(frozen foods).

Caleb

My vote is also for New LIfe Spectrum. I use their Betta formula, the small fish formula and the all purpose. Excellent quality ingredients.

I use NLS and flakes from Kensfish(blackworm,earthworm,and premium tropical flakes).
Kens Premium Flake Food
Link on fish food ingredients and the "rating" of several common foods.
Fish Food Ingredients
Hit he "stars" to see where your food falls if it is in the list?
Mixing in frozen regulary will promote healthier/happier fish IMO also.

There are many good ones. See if you can find one that doesn't use phosphate based preservatives. I don't think the good ones do anymore.

NLS and Hikari are my go to for dried foods, and San Fransisco Bay for frozen.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I feed Ocean Nutrition Sprulna flakes which has really colored up my endlers. I try to stay away from Tetra which has a lot of filler and ethoxyquin.

Very nice and informative thread. I might be switching my flake food now.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use NLS, Cobalt pro breeder flake, hikari frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp, hikari first bites.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with most of the posters. NLS (New Life Spectrum) is at the top of the list for me, then Omega One and Hikari. And I also agree on San Francisco for frozen foods. Stay away from cheap foods, and that includes Tetra!

NLS Thera A and Omega One algae wafers. The fewest fillers!!

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I've use Tetra Min flakes for over 20 years in my tanks, i even feed it to my discus along with other foods.. I mean i technicly have no choice because i have neons and other tropical fish in the tank, but my discus gobble it up lol.

Never had much luck with pellet foods.. any fish ive used pellet foods on.. discus, african cichlids and so forth they dont eat it.. Frozen Bloodworms are also a food all my fish love eating.

Heck my neons and gold barbs, and siamese algae eaters, discus and even my Golden Killifish in my 92g tank they eat Bloodworms and beaf heart.. I was shocked to see my neons gobbling up beefheart.. So now i look at flakes as just something to add variety and vitamins to their diets vs a main course meal

I've use Tetra Min flakes for over 20 years in my tanks, i even feed it to my discus along with other foods.. I mean i technicly have no choice because i have neons and other tropical fish in the tank, but my discus gobble it up lol.

Never had much luck with pellet foods.. any fish ive used pellet foods on.. discus, african cichlids and so forth they dont eat it.. Frozen Bloodworms are also a food all my fish love eating.

Heck my neons and gold barbs, and siamese algae eaters, discus and even my Golden Killifish in my 92g tank they eat Bloodworms and beaf heart.. I was shocked to see my neons gobbling up beefheart.. So now i look at flakes as just something to add variety and vitamins to their diets vs a main course meal

I see what you're saying man. I've used tetra min for the past year but have been putting a lot more variety in their diet. It's all about variety to keep them healthy, happy, and interested.

How important is it to add different kinds of food to a diet? I have NLS pellets. Are flakes and such necessary as well?

How important is it to add different kinds of food to a diet? I have NLS pellets. Are flakes and such necessary as well?

To put it simply, how would you like to eat the same thing every day? It would get boring quick. A variety in diet is healthy for all living creatures. The important part is what you are feeding the fish. Low quality brands like Tetra and Aqueon can contain many fillers making them less nutritious. NLS is loaded with real ingredients and not fillers. Even bloodworms, think of them like ice cream. Fish love them! But it's not very nutritious.

Healthy foods can be anything from a variety of pellet foods to a mix of frozen. Just make sure it's good Ingredients and not full of fillers.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom