Best type of snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kclee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a few small snails that arrived on plants but I am thinking about adding a few larger more decorative snails. The types I have researched are reported to be pretty good escape artists. I have a versatop on my aquarium but because I am running two hang-on filters I simply did not add the plastic seal at the back. Point is, my tank is not real secured. Are there any types of snails that do fairly well at eating algae that do not carry much of an escape risk?

Thanks!

Ramshorns eat certain types of algae from what Ive researched. Are the ones you are referring to Nerite snails?

So I have a few small snails that arrived on plants but I am thinking about adding a few larger more decorative snails. The types I have researched are reported to be pretty good escape artists. I have a versatop on my aquarium but because I am running two hang-on filters I simply did not add the plastic seal at the back. Point is, my tank is not real secured. Are there any types of snails that do fairly well at eating algae that do not carry much of an escape risk?

Thanks!

Have you identified the snails that arrived on your plants?

I've read Nerite and Mystery snails will crawl out of the tank.

So mystery snails and nerite snails will crawl out of the tank if the water is too hot. Mystery Snails will also crawl out of the tank to lay their clutch of eggs. So if you have a male/female this will happen. Be careful though because mine did this and the fell, hit her shell on the corner of the stand, and broke it. Nerite snails lay tons of white individual eggs inside the tank, but they will not hatch in freshwater, only brackish. Nerite shells are far prettier, but more delicate. Mystery Snails are not as skittish, but bigger.

Both snails have a big bioload, and will move plants around. I have had both and liked both. It's up to you really. If you do get Nerites, check in on them occasionally because if they fall on the top of their shell, they can't right themselves like mystery snails can.

Back
Top Bottom