best use for a fw 10 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
joejeff said:
A center piece.? Like one large plant? I was thinking goin planted all the way! I am starting to live that aspect of this hobby more Amd more

No, a center piece fish. Usually a favorite choice... a betta would be perfect

Rt on so you would advice against the shrimp huh?

Yep, you will just have to choose. A betta that might get along with some shrimp or the nano tank mentioned before.

I must agree, I love my bettas. I almost think my male dragon scale is tied with my GBR's for beauty.

Yes. There are many different species of betta, but in general what most call a betta is Betta splendens. They are also the most common in the market.

I rate the pathetic way the ones I see at lfs and petsmart look. I think if I get one I want to order a fancy type. Bc the normal ones at the retailers look on the edge of death...

They are mostly the same "species" (splendens) just drastically different variations and hybrids with other species (the wild ones). There are lots of options. I would suggest going to aquabid.com at least to check out some interesting variations available.

Sad it has come to that. Almost all LFS keep their bettas in teeny tiny cups. In those things they definitely look very sad. However, in their defense, I have gotten good looking bettas from my LFS. Check out my avatar. He looked like a pretty betta in the cup. Got him home and in a planted tank and he was gorgeous!

+1 on aquabid, if you want a unique betta it is the place to look. However, I see paying 20 bucks for shipping on a fish a bit outrageous. Some have better rates than others so look thoroughly.

adadkins1 said:
Sad it has come to that. Almost all LFS keep their bettas in teeny tiny cups. In those things they definitely look very sad. However, in their defense, I have gotten good looking bettas from my LFS. Check out my avatar. He looked like a pretty betta in the cup. Got him home and in a planted tank and he was gorgeous!

So if u think I.got a decent looking one it would perk up in a healthier environment?

Possibly, you just have to weigh your options. Pay extra money up front and get a betta from aquabid or try one from the LFS. I won't say there is a gurantee they will perk up, but IME they look a lot better and less stressed in a 5g+ tank than in a 8oz. cup.

adadkins1 said:
Possibly, you just have to weigh your options. Pay extra money up front and get a betta from aquabid or try one from the LFS. I won't say there is a gurantee they will perk up, but IME they look a lot better and less stressed in a 5g+ tank than in a 8oz. cup.

Very true.. Nvr been to.Aquabid.com. ill check it out...

So does it have to be 5gallons. I have seen some in like 2 gallon setups w filtration that seemed pretty healthy...

Well, it is a general consensus that a 5g plus is really the best. Granted I kept a betta in a 2.5 for 6 years, it is doable, but not recommended.

Same here! I would either do a local betta or try some other type of fish. Maybe peruse your LFS and see what they have.

Back
Top Bottom