Best water change strategy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i have a 30gal
What is the best water change procedure
Should i use a syphon if so what kind/model

And are there were any tips and tricks for water changes along with what equipment to use

I use a top fin gravel vacuum. A 5 gallon bucket to drain the water into. I use 1 gallon water jugs to refill my tank. I fill the jugs beforehand and leave them out so they get room temp. Then I dump them in and add water conditioner.

Honestly, there's no trick. The back breaking part is putting the water back in. I use 2 gallon buckets. It takes me 20-30minutes for the 54 gallon I have. It's quite long.

If you have some way to easily add perfect water to your tank without shocking then you're extremely lucky lol. I use a 5 gallon to siphon into and a 4.5 to put my new "primed" water and the tanks temp (can do it roughly by feeling it) and I then use a smaller container/bucket and place it into the tank so it doesn't disturb anything. Takes awhile for my 40, but not too long (15-30min total). I can do all my tanks (10,29,40) in about a hour.

I have 5 tanks ranging from a 10 to 2 55s and I've come up with quite the system after being very unhappy with my Python water changer, I use a normal gravel vac attached to a 25' garden hose, so I can go to the bathtub or outside, and a 50' X hose with an attachment for hooking up to the kitchen sink and garden sprayer, I can clean all the tanks in less than an hour

You have to find what works best for you. I use a Python on my 46g, if I had to do it by bucket I'd probably not enjoy the tank so much. I use buckets & a gravel vac for my 10g & 5g tanks. I usually do my 5 smaller tanks on Saturdays & the "big boy" on Sunday.

If you want a procedure here's what I do.

46g
Hook up my Python to my Kitchen faucet
Unplug heaters & filter
Vac/syphon - I usually remove 50% or more of the water
Add my Prime (full tank dosage) & ferts
Refill the tank
Plug in heaters
If I need to clean my filter media; I fill a bucket 1/2 way with used tank water, clean up my filter & put it back together.
Plug in filter

For the smaller tanks:
Fill up my new water bucket & dose Prime
Unplug heater & filter
Vac/syphon 50%+ water out
Refill tank
Plug in heater
Wait 5-10 minutes then plug in filter

If you want a procedure here's what I do.

46g
Hook up my Python to my Kitchen faucet
Unplug heaters & filter
Vac/syphon - I usually remove 50% or more of the water
Add my Prime (full tank dosage) & ferts
Refill the tank
Plug in heaters
If I need to clean my filter media; I fill a bucket 1/2 way with used tank water, clean up my filter & put it back together.
Plug in filter

For the smaller tanks:
Fill up my new water bucket & dose Prime
Unplug heater & filter
Vac/syphon 50%+ water out
Refill tank
Plug in heater
Wait 5-10 minutes then plug in filter

i do the same thing, though i use the aqueon water changer. same thing though

I use a normal gravel vac attached to a 25' garden hose, so I can go to the bathtub or outside, and a 50' X hose with an attachment for hooking up to the kitchen sink and garden sprayer, I can clean all the tanks in less than an hour

This is brilliant, I wonder if I could pull that off with my stuff? :)

I use a gravel vac and empty the water into those 5 gallon polar/crystal water jugs (the kind they use in the water fountains at offices, I don't know what they are actually called!) and dump the dirty water. I have 3, 2 are always full and ready to go, and the 3rd is just for emptying. It works for me because I can keep track of how many gallons I take out, and they're easier for me to store than buckets.

This is brilliant, I wonder if I could pull that off with my stuff? :)

I use a gravel vac and empty the water into those 5 gallon polar/crystal water jugs (the kind they use in the water fountains at offices, I don't know what they are actually called!) and dump the dirty water. I have 3, 2 are always full and ready to go, and the 3rd is just for emptying. It works for me because I can keep track of how many gallons I take out, and they're easier for me to store than buckets.

The setup I have now I only use 1 bucket, and I'm able to store everything in it and I fill it with tank water for cleaning my filters, and that's another bonus of using the long hose on the gravel vac, I can keep rinsing everything, and I actually get decent pressure, I'll post some pics tomorrow of my setup so you can see exactly what I'm working with

I bought an adapter for my kitchen tap ($10) and a drinking water grade hose ($25) and I refill all my tanks with that. I use a cheap gravel vac/syphon which (following advice I got here) I 'connected' (read: jammed the nozzle in tight) to a $10 garden hose which takes the old water (and the accompanying fertiliser) straight out to my back garden. I can do larger water changes now, and I can do all the tanks in one day ( before, with all the lifting, I could hardly straighten up after having done just two tanks)

Back
Top Bottom