Best water conditioner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use tetra. Is there a big difference between brands of water conditioners?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Personally I'm a fan of seachem products and prime is their water conditioner. Aside from adequate dechlorination it also helps to break down ammonia.

I believe the dilution rates may differ between products as well so you may get more or less use from brand to brand.

Prime may be ablittle more expensive... but a 500ml bottle is enough for 5,000 gallons. Thats far more concentrated than api conditioners making it a lot cheaper in the long run.

API Super Strength Conditioner 237ml treats up to 4,730 US Gallons, so it treats twice that of Prime for less than half the price.

API 8oz $8.29
Prime 8.45oz $10.89

API Super Strength Conditioner 237ml treats up to 4,730 US Gallons, so it treats twice that of Prime for less than half the price.

API 8oz $8.29
Prime 8.45oz $10.89

Interesting, I am not a fan that it doesn't work to detoxify ammonia or nitrite though.

Interesting, I am not a fan that it doesn't work to detoxify ammonia or nitrite though.

That's correct and that is one of the advantages of one over the other but I always thought if there's a high level of ammonia or nitrites in the tank, it's a sign of something wrong like poor maintenance or poor filtering?

API 8oz $8.29
Prime 8.45oz $10.89

I think that is one that I have and seachem safe. I bought them in bulk so got an extra discount. I use the API one normally and safe if I'm cleaning filters or putting substrate tabs in just in case.

Personally I'm a fan of seachem products and prime is their water conditioner. Aside from adequate dechlorination it also helps to break down ammonia.

I believe the dilution rates may differ between products as well so you may get more or less use from brand to brand.
i think it actually backfires during fishless cycling because it inhibits ammonia for cycling. other than fish-in cycling (which i don't find ethical) i don't see the use for the ammo-lock since the tank shouldn't have ammonia or nitrites anyway.
im not sure about dilution rates but i can imagine that impacts drops per gallon. it seems like prime/api is hyped mainly because of price. (which is understandable)

That's correct and that is one of the advantages of one over the other but I always thought if there's a high level of ammonia or nitrites in the tank, it's a sign of something wrong like poor maintenance or poor filtering?

Things can happen to cause an ammonia spike. Dead fish, disturbed substrate, mistake by aquarist, the list goes on. I see a big problem from people that live near farms and are on well water. It's very very common for them to have ammonia in the tap water with which prime would be a godsend. It's just better to have it handy for its ammonia binding properties and not need it than need it and not have it imho.

i think it actually backfires during fishless cycling because it inhibits ammonia for cycling. other than fish-in cycling (which i don't find ethical) i don't see the use for the ammo-lock since the tank shouldn't have ammonia or nitrites anyway.
im not sure about dilution rates but i can imagine that impacts drops per gallon. it seems like prime/api is hyped mainly because of price. (which is understandable)

The ammonia detoxifiers don't inhibit the use of ammonia by bacteria, at least not in any measurable way.

It binds the ammonia IIRC, making it harmless to fish but letting the bb consume it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom