Best way to deal with fry while on long vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Would it be ok for one to setup a 10 gallon tank with a power filter with prefilter sponge covering the intake for fry. My friends have some fry (they got into the aquarium hobby from my urging) and not sure if they should keep them in the breeder nets or setup the 10 gallon for them with some tetra safestart. Would fry even give off enough waste to feed the tetra safestart? Would the fry be safe for up to two weeks in an uncycled tank as they would not give off much waste? Plus what are some feeding options for them? We are all going on the same trip so I cannot help them out nor can they help me. They have family to feed the fish while they are gone, but they are not sure how to proceed with the fry. I have my thoughts, but not sure if it would be accurate.

Anyone have any input???

The fry won't survive in an uncycled tank for 2 weeks without daily water changes.

The fry won't survive in an uncycled tank for 2 weeks without daily water changes.

I figured as much, but please elaborate. The tetra safestart would be added which is a bacteria in a bottle product that has been proven to be effective as it has the bio-spira technology. Now, if the fry do not give off enough waste to feed the bacteria to make it grow then does that not mean there would not be any build up of ammonia in the first place regardless of bacteria growth?

And naturally, even though we are all novices at this, I would not be inclined to recommend to them to dump fry into an uncycled tank, but I am curious as to why it would be a problem as they do not give off much waste. I know the tetra safestart works because it cycled my tank in less than a week. My 60 gallon. They put it in their 55 gallon and it cycled it in less than a week. I know mine did indeed cycle in that time because I tested daily and by day four or five I got cycled readings and I tested the water for my friends and their parameters showed cycled results in less than a week.

Ultimately, it is looking like they will leave the fry in the breeder net, but is there any type of automatic slow dissolving fry food they could put in the net with them? Are there any options?

I figured as much, but please elaborate. The tetra safestart would be added which is a bacteria in a bottle product that has been proven to be effective as it has the bio-spira technology. Now, if the fry do not give off enough waste to feed the bacteria to make it grow then does that not mean there would not be any build up of ammonia in the first place regardless of bacteria growth?

And naturally, even though we are all novices at this, I would not be inclined to recommend to them to dump fry into an uncycled tank, but I am curious as to why it would be a problem as they do not give off much waste. I know the tetra safestart works because it cycled my tank in less than a week. My 60 gallon. They put it in their 55 gallon and it cycled it in less than a week. I know mine did indeed cycle in that time because I tested daily and by day four or five I got cycled readings and I tested the water for my friends and their parameters showed cycled results in less than a week.

Ultimately, it is looking like they will leave the fry in the breeder net, but is there any type of automatic slow dissolving fry food they could put in the net with them? Are there any options?

Quite honestly, I've never had any luck with the instant cycle bacteria that is sold in stores. However, that being said, does not mean that it doesn't work.

Regarding fry, they require fresh clean water or they will succumb to disease, such as fungus and bacterial infections. I don't give them much luck of survival without frequent water changes. For food, there's lots of "weekender" food blocks sold in stores.

Reef people have setups that have automatic water top offs that could be adapted to freshwater, but it's quite complicated. You could do a search on this site for this.

Another option is to pour the fry into a 5 gallon bucket and give to a friend to look after. All they need to do is change 2 gallons of the water everyday. That should keep down the ammonia and give the fry fresh water.

If you return and your fry didn't make it, you could breed more.

Quite honestly, I've never had any luck with the instant cycle bacteria that is sold in stores. However, that being said, does not mean that it doesn't work.

Regarding fry, they require fresh clean water or they will succumb to disease, such as fungus and bacterial infections. I don't give them much luck of survival without frequent water changes. For food, there's lots of "weekender" food blocks sold in stores.

Reef people have setups that have automatic water top offs that could be adapted to freshwater, but it's quite complicated. You could do a search on this site for this.

Another option is to pour the fry into a 5 gallon bucket and give to a friend to look after. All they need to do is change 2 gallons of the water everyday. That should keep down the ammonia and give the fry fresh water.

If you return and your fry didn't make it, you could breed more.

Well my friends are realizing they should have heeded my warning on not getting both sexes on the livebearers. I don't think they want the burden now, but since they have them they have to try to do something to give them a chance. I personally only keep all male livebearers although I think I may have gotten some redwag platies mixed gender by mistake.

Back
Top Bottom