Best way to feed frozen bloodworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mctypething

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've recently started introducing bloodworms to my tank once a week. I let the cube defrost and then put it in the tank and let the fish pick at it. The problem is that my largest angel grabs the cube and drags it away from the rest of the fish, and then he eats all of it and chases away any other fish that goes for it. So I have two problems:

1) it can't be good for the angel to eat that much at once.
2) the other fish can't get to the bloodworms

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to best feed the bloodworms. Thanks.

i use small cup let it defrost in a bit of tank water break it up then dump it in all around tank

I use a syringe to squirt it in the tank in different areas. You can occupy the angel in one spot and then feed the others in another spot. You can buy medicine syringes used for giving kids medicine at most pharmacies.

I've got an angel and 6 danios and I've never had that problem, but I also overfeed my tank so the shrimp can get some food as well. Try feeding them a bit more, or 2x a day if you're not already

I take a small cup and put about 2" of water from my tank in it. Then I put the frozen cube into that cup. Then, after it's all thawed out, I dump the entire cup back into the tank. I think it works pretty well to distribute the food evenly.

I also use a syringe thing. It is a dog/cat doser though from the pet store. I put the food in the tube of the syringe, and suck up some tank water, shake it until it's all melted, and then I can put the food wherever I want to whomever I want. :)

I'd never thought about it... I'd always just throw it in still frozen and let it thaw while the fish attacked it. I'll have to try the new method!

I do the same, I have a small tupperware container that stays by my tank specifically for thawing out my frozen food before feeding.

It helps keep the fish from getting brain-freeze too.

Get a tubifex feeder...sort of a cone with holes, that fits into a ring that suction cups to the side. I drop a frozen cube into that and the fish suck the worms out through the holes as the cube thaws. If you have alot of fish, or an aggressive one, use two feeders and cut the block in half. No way one fish can be a pig at both feeders at the same time (put the feeders at opposite ends of the tank). I use worm feeders for all sorts of frozen foods, not just bloodworms. But some foods have some bits that do not fit thru the holes...I just wait until the rest is gone, and then dump the big parts into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom