Best Way to Feed Frozen Bloodworms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Of course u mean feeding bloodworns to the fish. Anyway, i am just wondering how u guys feed them to your little swimming bundles of joy. I recently just started feeding them to mine and would like to pick up on any tips and tricks. Especially on how to get excess worms that haven't been eaten our if the tank.

Tcal01 said:
Of course u mean feeding bloodworns to the fish. Anyway, i am just wondering how u guys feed them to your little swimming bundles of joy. I recently just started feeding them to mine and would like to pick up on any tips and tricks. Especially on how to get excess worms that haven't been eaten our if the tank.

I place half of the frozen cube in a cup, fill it a little bit with tank water and let them defrost for a couple minutes. After that I swish them around in the cup and dump them in haha. It seems to work fine for me so far. As far as excess, I feed little monsters so I don't have much excess at all lol.

JoeyGeeze said:
I place half of the frozen cube in a cup, fill it a little bit with tank water and let them defrost for a couple minutes. After that I swish them around in the cup and dump them in haha. It seems to work fine for me so far. As far as excess, I feed little monsters so I don't have much excess at all lol.

Haha OK. And you just cut the block when it us still frozen?

I defrost the block in a cup of water and swirl it around as well. I then use tweezers to feed it, rather than just dump it all in.

I have six silver hatchetfish who will only eat food at the surface of the water, so I have an "elaborate system" of feeding bloodworms. First, I put the frozen cube of bloodworms into a papertowel and smash it with a hammer. Most of the cube goes into a little cup with tank water to melt, but some of the cube that is broken up into little fish-size pieces goes back into the freezer in the papertowel to remain frozen for a few minutes longer.

After the worms in the cup thaw, I pour off most of the water, then get the still-frozen worms out of the freezer. The thawed worms go into the tank and immediately begin sinking, and those get eaten by the black neons & von rio tetras. The still-frozen worms get sprinkled on top of the water--and because they're frozen, they float a little longer, and that gives the hatchets a chance to eat them.

Any left over worms get eaten by the albino cories.

Tcal01 said:
Haha OK. And you just cut the block when it us still frozen?

Yea I cut the frozen block with a knife and put one half back In the freezer, just make sure you wash that knife! Lol... All my fish are still young so I only feed a half.

I think this is one of those things where there's no true method, whatever works I guess haha.

For those of u who cut the block in half, what do u do with thebother half. I have heard that if input it back in the freezer it can develop bacteria. Cannula use thebother half later?

*can you use the other. Also would it be considered over feeding if i put in half a block of bloodworms and a pinch of flake food in a 20g with 8 Harlequin rasboras, 6 pygmy loaches, 2 otos and a betta? Or should i just do the worms

Skip flakes the day you feed blood worms.
I defrost some in a cup of water then use a turkey baster to feed each tank. Easier to control how many for each tank.

Mumma.of.two said:
Skip flakes the day you feed blood worms.
I defrost some in a cup of water then use a turkey baster to feed each tank. Easier to control how many for each tank.

Hmm i like the turkey baster idea. I have to fees the bloodworms everyday because that what the loaches eat and i don't think they will sat the flakes

Should i just feed the bloodworms? I will try just feeding the flakes tomorrow and see what the loaches do. And can i use the other unused half of the frozen bloodworm block?

You could try sinking catfish pellets and algae wafers just for the loaches, it might be easier for them to get some. I don't think feeding fish bloodworms every day is healthy for them. I give my fish frozen bloodworms once every week or two as a treat. I thaw a cube in a cup of tank water. Because my fish have small mouths I cut the pieces with scissors then feed small portions into the tank at a time; I let some fall to the bottom for the corys but I never use a whole cube. The rest I just toss.

Back
Top Bottom