Best way to prepare water for water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fill two 55 gallon barrels tied together using pvc and uniseals with cold tap (hot water tanks are bad news) and let it age 24h with a pump recirculating the water. After a day or so it's up to temp. Dose with prime while i drain the aquariums, use the same pump to push it into the tanks. Stupid we easy and safer for the fish.
I also test for tds levels to ensure the tap isn't too far off the norm from rain or water works treatment. Lost a few fish that way.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dose the tank for the amount of water I will be putting into it, not the entire tank volume (wasteful is not my style) I over-estimate though to be safe. Then I just dump the new water in. I don't temperature match as I figured when you have a heavy rain in nature, the temps will swing and fish are ok with it. :) I use my hand to disrupt the flow a bit so it doesn't dig a hole in the substrate. Our water has chlorine and chloramine, so standing the water does not make it safe here.

I dose the tank for the amount of water I will be putting into it, not the entire tank volume (wasteful is not my style) I over-estimate though to be safe. Then I just dump the new water in. I don't temperature match as I figured when you have a heavy rain in nature, the temps will swing and fish are ok with it. :) I use my hand to disrupt the flow a bit so it doesn't dig a hole in the substrate. Our water has chlorine and chloramine, so standing the water does not make it safe here.
That is the nice thing about a 150g tank a 5 degree miss match on 10% water change is nothing

Back
Top Bottom